Castelli Velocissimo Team jacket or Sportful Bodyfit Pro

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Quite fancy a flash new winter jersey and have got an Evans Ride2Work voucher burning a hole in my pocket....

http://www.castellicafe.co.uk/castelli- ... t?var=3461

http://www.sportful.it/fra/w13/cycling/ ... id=1101145

Does anyone know how the two above compare? The Castelli web site is really useful in saying it's for 0-10 oC but not sure about the Sportful one.

Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Sportful own Castelli so products, sizing, fit etc are often similar. Velocissmo has X-Fast fabric on the front, same as Gabba jersey so is likely to be a little more weather resistant.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I purchase the Sportful body fit pro at the beginning of December, and have worn it twice so far, I've don't have the Castelli so I can't compare.
    The first ride it was about 5'c with slight wind, I had the jacket on with a base layer and a short sleeve top, and was fine. Didn't overheat whilst out either.
    2nd weather was about 7 or 8'c but the wind was about 18-20mph, again base layer short sleeve top and jacket, and again kept nice and warm but didn't over heat, the only down side was 25miles from home it started raining, and even thought the jacket does not say that it is waterproof it handled the light rain very well with it just beading on the the material and rolling off, the same can't be said when the heavens opened, even my back up waterproof jacket couldn't handle it, so slightly wet when I finally arrived home.!!!

I'm glad I got the jacket it has out performed my expectations so far. Hope this helps and hope you choose the right one for you.
  • calmx5
    calmx5 Posts: 230
    I have a friend who has the Velocissimo whilst I have the sportful - with the exception of the neck shroud on the castelli, in terms of fabric, weight and performance they are almost identical. I expect you can get the sportful slightly cheaper (Try PBK) so that might be the deciding factor.
  • I went for the Sportful Bodyfit Pro in the end but even in Small it's a little baggy round the neck and chest and maybe an inch too long in the arms. Looks a great bit of kit but will probably have to go back. Shame as I got the last one and it was a bit of a bargain.

Will the Castelli really be the same fit? Are there any better options at Evans for rather skinny people?

As an aside it's such a pain buying clothes on line / ordering them to store. I have to use Evans as I've a R2W voucher to spend, even their big stores have poor range of stuff to try on (especially if you're not medium) and it's annoying for me and them to have to order it in.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Not sure this helps (as two different garments, but still Sportful and Castelli). Was debating whether to keep a Sportful Fiandre No Rain jacket or swapping it for a Castelli Gabba long sleeve jersey. Decided to keep the Sportful Fiandre in medium in the end after trying both a medium and large in the Gabba. With the Gabba I felt the medium was a little too snug and the large was too baggy on the arms so they both went back. The Sportful just fits me much better...

..actually sounds like a Gabba would be a better garment for you if you want a real racer fit?
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Hadn't really looked at the Gabba but sounds like a great suggestion. Are they really only good down to 6oC though or could you just layer up underneath more? I was hoping for something I could wear all winter.

Thanks for the tip.
  • 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    I have a short sleeved Gabba in a small size, I weigh 61kgs with 36" chest and 30" waist and it's certainly what I would describe as a race fit. The only criticism I have is it is a little loose around my 14" neck

P1010477.jpg
  • That really made me smile this morning. It should be compulsory on here to attach a picture when giving sizing advice!

Seriously though, that's great advice. I'll have the same neck issue but looks like it's worth ordering one to store to try on.

Thanks again.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

As an aside it's such a pain buying clothes on line / ordering them to store. I have to use Evans as I've a R2W voucher to spend, even their big stores have poor range of stuff to try on (especially if you're not medium) and it's annoying for me and them to have to order it in.

Agree that items stocked in evans can sometimes leave a bit to be desired, but I find the click and collect really good.

Cannot see why its annoying for them (as a company its what they want) and the convenience of having two sizes of anything from their website/warehouse waiting for only you to try on, and then an instant refund for what you do not need seems like a good service.

Would not have thought you could layer up underneath a Gabba to turn it into the Velocissimo or Bodyfit Pro.

Have not managed to work out how to upload photos to BR yet but it is a lot more useful to see an item being discussed.
    Always annoying (this is a random comment) when people leave reviews saying something is a good fit but do not mention what size they got or what size they are :(
  • I've got the Sportful bodyfit pro jacket, gabba ss, plus used the castelli Mortirolo jacket last year which according to castelli's website is similar to the Velocissimo fabric wise.

I run quite warm so do manage to get by with a gabba plus baselayer and jersey fine below 5C when on the bike, but, have chilled quicky when fixing a flat in damp\breezy conditions at these temps. I've not experence this senario with the Sportful yet, but doubt it would be an issue. I've not found myself over heating either too much with the Sportful, but also haven't used it over 10C, where as I did tend to get abit warm in the Mortirolo, which is abit more fleese lined on the front in comparision (could also be due to the "extra insulatuion" I was carrying this time last yr)

neck wise the sportful is definatly slightly larger vs the same sized Castelli items I have, plus the castelli items do have reflective tabs\detailing which is absent from the sportful if that important to you.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Agree with what others say re sizing. I recently tried on the Sportful Fiandre No Rain and found it to be a squarer fit than Castelli (I have a Gabba in medium and at 5'11 and 65kg it's spot on).