tyres on now or later ?

ilovegrace
ilovegrace Posts: 677
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
I have bought some new tyres for my "summer bike " (I never thought I would hear myself say that !) and would like to know if I should fit them now (Just because I have bought them and want to see them on the bike , Christ I am 52 and feel like a kid at Xmas with gear for my new obsession) or wait until she comes out of hibernation in the spring ?
Are they better in the cool of mu garage folded or will they feel better fitted and pumped up ready to go ?
regards
ILG

Comments

• ovi
    ovi Posts: 396
    I would put them on then the bike now and it will be ready to use when the weather fairs up a bit in a month or so.
  • ovi wrote:
    I would put them on then the bike now and it will be ready to use when the weather fairs up a bit in a month or so.
    Thinking about getting the tyre levers and pump out as we speak !
    regards
    ILG
  • Go for it! I am of similar age and just bought new wheels and tires. Straight out on them last weekend.

Decent riding days are far apart this time of year. I am not going to waste them with temporary kit.

Worth doing. Loads of Strava pb's and a climbing record for me. Didn't hurt at all.

P.s. The last sentence is a lie.
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    would say this:
    if you use the bike for riding into the city/commuting DO NOT fit the tyres now.
    I use decent folding tyres on all my bikes taking part worn ones off the summer bike and putting them on the bike I use for commuting. After a short period I notice the tyres on the commuter are riddled with cuts and slashes. These are not just happening because the tyres are more worn, it's because the inner city roads are so littered with glass and debris and I am riding more in the wet (all the time at the moment).
    If you are only using the bike for training rides on mainly country roads I see no harm in fitting them straight away. Decent tyres=better wet weather grip. Cheap tyres= plasticky feel,no grip in the wet.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Get 'em on quick before you decide to get new wheels to go with them...!

Peter
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Well, you need to scrub the surfaces with hot water to get the release agent off. Most easily done on the bike and inflated ;-).
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Go for it.

I use the same tyres all year round. GP4000's are excellent in Summer and Winter IMO.
  • Thanks for the replies chaps.
    They are going on and eagerly await the next dry spell.
    I will use my winter bike until then , i dare not use my carbon in winter , I fall off at the best of times without risking damaging the love of my life.
    thanks again
    regards
    ILG
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    It's going to be dry tomorrow morning..... :idea:

Peter