helmet advise

Dazo
Dazo Posts: 7
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
About to purchase a new road helmet have been looking at the Las offerings. Will go a shade over £100 any ideas or thoughts on a good helmet not much experience as I foolishly never wear one

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    The one that fits the best.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Dazo
    Dazo Posts: 7
    That I know a good fit is a must are there some brands which to steer clear from
  • All Helmets have to be legally of a certain standard. On that basis there aren't any that should be particularly avoided. People tend to spend more than is necessary, ( myself included), in order to wear a helmet that is comfortable, well fitting and looks good cosmetically. I wear a Kask Vertigo, but it may not be the helmet for you. Try a few on at your local bike shop.
    All Helmets have to be legally of a certain standard. On that basis there aren't any that should be particularly avoided. People tend to spend more than is necessary, ( myself included), in order to wear a helmet that is comfortable, well fitting and looks good cosmetically. I wear a Kask Vertigo, but it may not be the helmet for you. Try a few on at your local bike shop.
    ^^This
  • xcMuttley
    xcMuttley Posts: 434
    Ive had a few helmets, Giant, Specialized and Giro but my favourite has to be Lazer Genesis. Im yet to wear a comfier and better looking helmet and i know a few people who would agree, the bonus of the aero/rain cover and winter insert adds to the versatility!
    Check out my blog for my views and reviews: http://memylifeandmybike.blogspot.co.uk/
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I have found Giro to be the best fitting for me but as others have said, we are all different shapes and the most important thing to me is to try them on in a shop to establish what's best for you. Just the slightest bit out and it can be a real physical pain 50 or 60 miles into what would otherwise have been a great ride.

Depending on how hot you tend to run, it may be better to consider a slightly more expensive, better ventilated model - less easy to appreciate when trying on in a shop!

Peter
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    All Helmets have to be legally of a certain standard. On that basis there aren't any that should be particularly avoided. People tend to spend more than is necessary, ( myself included), in order to wear a helmet that is comfortable, well fitting and looks good cosmetically. I wear a Kask Vertigo, but it may not be the helmet for you. Try a few on at your local bike shop.

Totally agree also. Make sure you try one on in a shop. dont just pick one up online cos its on sale or something. fit is very important.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    I don't want to Hijack the thread, but which helmet is the coolest? I sweat rather a lot would be nice to have a helmet that kept me cooler.
  • FatTed wrote:
    I don't want to Hijack the thread, but which helmet is the coolest? I sweat rather a lot would be nice to have a helmet that kept me cooler.

Giro Aeon
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    The Kask Mojito is very light and very airy but check fit first, particularly that the size adjuster at the back stays in place and doesn't ride up as mine tended to do. I now have a Kask Vertigo which fits me better and the adjuster doesn't ride up however it is a bit heavier and not quite as airy although it is still very good.
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1