Awesome bike, or not awesome bike?

gt-arrowhead
gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
edited January 2014 in MTB general
I saw a list of "13 things to forget in 2013 in- mountain biking"

And this came up as 3rd on the list. It doesnt explain why it is something to forget. I dont understand why to be honest. Just curious to see what people with more knowledge think, because to me it just sounds as if its supposed to be really good. Or is it just me not knowing much about FS bikes and geometry?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ9_4rcenEA

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It's more the ridiculously cringeworthy way the advert is put together, coupled with the complete bollocks they're passing off as the best thing ever.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Some nice features but some terrible features such as press fit bottom bracket and the integrated seat clamp. Too much of an xc race bike for me and a bit average.
  • Needs more acronyms.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Not enough shimz.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • gt-arrowhead
    Cringeworthy? You should hear that same narrator say "Pinarello" in an italian accent on another similar advert for their road bike.

I find the asymmetrical downtube quite interesting.
  • rockmonkeysc
    It's nothing but a styling exercise.
  • gt-arrowhead
    Thats well ugly if it is. They claimed that it was because the crank was on that side, so they shaped that side to cope with the pedaling force. Or whatever.
  • njee20
    And that's the twaddle I was talking about...!
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    wow talk about over engineered, the forkstopper seemed a dumb idea, great way to wreck a frame and fork.
  • gt-arrowhead
    WindyG wrote:
    over engineered
    Those two words are the exact words i was thinking of when i finished watching the ad.
  • neddie
    neddie Posts: 101
    Makes it like riding a road bike ......

Why ???
    Boardman Comp.

Norco Fluid
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Dogma? I'm no expert, but it looks more like dogs**t to me. Appears to me to be a mountain bike designed by a road bike designer who doesn't understand MTBs?

"The feeling of riding a roadbike?" I can't think of anything I'd want less than that while trying to negotiate Hully Gully... :roll:
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    I'd enjoy the advert a lot more if it showed someone riding it, getting sideways and all that
    That advert is boring
    And advert with someone whipping the back end round isn't boring
  • njee20
    Appears to me to be a mountain bike designed by a road bike designer who doesn't understand MTBs?

Spot on. But they'll be bought by the same people who buy Dogma road bikes - they'll have all the replica kit and will enjoy standing around in car parks in the Surrey hills posing next to their Q7s.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Look out for Team Sky replica kit on the trails soon...
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Yes because i really want a frame that doesnt have any give and cable routing holes without eyelets.
    Also surely to make the rear shock mount stronger and symmetric wouldnt you just have a dual sided mount?
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    *sighs*... derailleur/disc lines routed under the BB shell... Pinarello obviously encourage drinking at work!

I do like the integrated seat clamp though....
  • rockmonkeysc
    Integrated clamp is ok if you don't want a quick release.
  • njee20
    miceden wrote:
    *sighs*... derailleur/disc lines routed under the BB shell... Pinarello obviously encourage drinking at work!

What's wrong with that? Can't say I've ever noticed a difference in longevity or feel with them internal/external, down the down tube or along the top tube.
    Integrated clamp is ok if you don't want a quick release.

Which I can't imagine many people buying a bike of that ilk would.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That seat post clamp would be OK with a dropper which they have the routing for....

Nothing wrong with BB routed cables except perhaps on a DH or possibly Enduro, for the intended use it is fine.

Whether it rides OK or not I don't know, what is cringeworthy is that god awful advert, I think I was a bit sick in my mouth.

Shame a lightweight XC bike has to be made heavier for the fork bumpers and seat post clamp and silly shock mount.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Kowalski675
    njee20 wrote:
    Appears to me to be a mountain bike designed by a road bike designer who doesn't understand MTBs?

Spot on. But they'll be bought by the same people who buy Dogma road bikes - they'll have all the replica kit and will enjoy standing around in car parks in the Surrey hills posing next to their Q7s.

:lol: I can see it now. All the gear, no idea. Daftest part to me seems to be the lockstops. They're gonna be a surefire way to bend/break bars and/or forks in a crash, and the reason they seem to be saying they're there is so that they can run a shorter top tube, when the rest of the MTB world is making top tubes longer to work with short stems. Presumably it costs a king's ransom too.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Nothing wrong with lock stops, unless you want to do bar spins.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    It looks like a very expensive answer to questions no one has had the need to ask.

Proof of the pudding will be if it's a revelation to ride. If it isn't a significant step forward in bike handling, we can safely say it's unnecessarily 'feature rich'. I'm going to guess it'll ride no different from many other full-sussers.

A lot of it does seem like a good reason to add cost without adding anything to functionality - much like the fancy swoops and curves on their road bikes. It adds f**k all, apart from cost and 'uniqueness', with is a pretty poor 'USP', in my book.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Kowalski675
    Nothing wrong with lock stops, unless you want to do bar spins.

Or bend/snap bars and/or damage your frame when you fall off.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It's a better alternative than smashing the brake levers into the top tube, which is what a lot of people end up having as their lockstop.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • njee20
    Which ruins your frame if you're not careful. Nowt wrong with the lock stops IMO.
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Awesome if they don't charge for all the slightly more silly ideas, the fork stoppers seem a good idea, though I'm pretty sure I've seen a bike with something similar before.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    Lovely looking bike.

Don't understand how it makes 'Pedalling more symmetrical' though!
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    advert made for the American market - full of pointless descriptions to make the bike sound better than it is.

no mention of its travel though which is a bit odd probably about 100 - all the high end components and they use cheap ass far east floating rotors lol

its not an ugly bike just a cringe worthy video
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So after a quick search, I can't find anywhere (worldwide) actually offering this for sale........guess that speaks volumes!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.