Shimano Claris... any good?

JediBiker
JediBiker Posts: 15
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Is the new shimano Claris any good? is it durable? how many years or miles will it last compare to Sora or Deore?

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/shimano-claris-groupset-first-look-36427/

I know this is new but if someone already has it I would appreciate their feedback on the subject as I am currently looking for a flat bar road bike and I've seen a lot of them with this groupset so I want to know if is good.
In the options I have is either Claris (50-39-30) or Deore (48-38-28).

PD: I have seen one bike with Sram VIA, though it seems to be city oriented gearing (46-36-26), quite small

Comments

• jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    Can't comment on 2400, but I used to have 2300 on my bike. It worked fine, but was a bit clunky (in looks and function) compared to those higher in Shimano's range. The only thing I didnt get on with was the thumb shifters, which were very uncomfortably placed for me. They have done away with these for 2400/Claris (and you're after flat bar anyway) so that shouldn't an issue.

Durability wise, I've put around 7500 all-weather miles on the crankset and BB. I spend 85-90% of my time in the middle ring and it is noticably more worn, although nowhere near needing replacement yet. BB is still as smooth as new.
  • Claris is the old Sora essentially.

Nothing wrong with the low end Shimano stuff. It works.
    Just don't expect uber smooth fast shifting as found in the higher ranges. Robust enough but have more weight.

Still does the same thing as DuraAce - ie Change gear.

I always stand by you can only tell a real difference between Shimano Groupsets every two steps.

e.g: Claris - Tiagra - Ultegra

or

Sora - 105 - DuraAce.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Down the groupsets though, Shimano have clear differentiating factors:

Claris - 8 speed
    Sora - 9 speed
    Tiagra - 10 speed
    105 - 10 speed, gear cable wrapped under bar tape.
    I don't know anywhere that sells Claris as a groupset - but would be very tempted if I could for a cross/winter hack - although prices on tiagra are pretty low now - you can get it for under £270 complete on various sites (including Ribble/PBK/Merlin with discounts).

If you could get Claris complete for £150-180, with the cost of replacing cassettes and chains significantly lower, I'd be buying....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Claris is the old Sora essentially.

Hows that? it has a sprocket less and no thumb shift.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    It looks pretty attractive for a touring or commuter project. The 8-speed drivetrain should outlast any 10-speed setup and the brifters are not trying to do anything tricky like routing the gear cables under the tape.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Carbonator wrote:

^^This, I thought Claris was 2300 replacement.
  • Anonymous
    diamonddog wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

^^This, I thought Claris was 2300 replacement.

It is. It's numerical id is 2400, they just gave it a silly name too now.

Sora went from 3400 to 3500 in 2013.
  • Sora had no thumb shifters either it was the 3400 that had them. Claris is similar to Sora 3500 in regards to thumb shifters but the components look more like 3300 and 3400.

Compared to 2300 , Claris looks more like the Old Soras with a 2400 tag.
  • Anonymous
    Sora had no thumb shifters either it was the 3400 that had them. Claris is similar to Sora 3500 in regards to thumb shifters but the components look more like 3300 and 3400.

Compared to 2300 , Claris looks more like the Old Soras with a 2400 tag.

I haven't had a drink in 3 days but I thought the old Sora was 3400 with the thumb shifters?

The thumb shifters were not that bad to use apart from having the cable coming out directly above them and virtually trapping your thumb.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Claris is different in many way to 2300.

The chainsets requires an octalink BB not sure why Shimano have made the switch, you don't buy Claris to get low weight. Also you get 34/46T 34/50T and 30/39/50T options.

the rear mechs come in two forms short cage (which is more like medium) and medium cage (which is more like a long). Both are designed to use a 32T sprocket rear cassette making the cheap HG41 11-32 perfect for cheap running.

For a winter trainer claris makes sense but you are right no groupset deals. Madsion only sell the parts individually with no bundle discount.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • My Claris equipped carrera virtuoso has gone back to the shop (halfords) after less than a month. The ratchet in the left hand shifter has gone faulty, it won't hold the mech on the large chainring, meaning I have constant chain rub. It also won't click down to the small ring. All the adjustment screws on the mech are set perfect, and the cable has the correct tension. It's getting sorted under warranty, the guy said he's going to order a pair and put those on.
    2011 carrera fury
    2012 20" onza genesis trials bike
    2014 carrera virtuoso road bike
  • TerryCTR
    TerryCTR Posts: 143
    I have full sora on my Allez sport and she has Claris on her dolce eq.

Both bikes have identical looking thumb shifters
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    I had the 2403 STi shifters recently when I had drop bars on and the gear changes were actually good, including being good around the 11t and 12t sprockets. The shifters had quite a nice light action. They don't change gear in a millisecond on the downshift like my 18 year old XTR shifters (that for other reasons upshift badly and hence I want new ones lol) but they are nice for the price of them and feel accurate enough.

I might get the flat bar shifters of it (R243), just because brand new shifters (albeit entry level) should give decent shifting. Yes they will, but for how long...