Your most satisfying "save"?

munzy
munzy Posts: 111
edited January 2014 in Workshop
My chain was sagging when in the small cogs at the back and found the main pivot of the rear mech was seized.

Managed to get it off, spring and all, then gently rubbed all the corrosion from the main pivot bolt. Cleaned up the rest of the mech then greased it. It's literally as good as new and keeps tension in the chain no matter which gear :)

Was a bit of a pig getting the spring back in but very satisfying job!

What's been your best resurrection of an old part that most people would chuck away?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    A whole bike. Helping my son tart up an old Peugeot I managed to true the original Campag wheels using a combination of brute force and ignorance, and repack the bearings so they at least spin. Sadly the Campag brake calipers and the DT shifters had been badly abused and missing some components so we elected to replace them with newer, functional items. The headset and BB too needed replacement, but the original quill stem and engraved alloy bars were duly polished and reused. Looks quite nice, and I'd forgotten how smooth a ride a steel frame could give. Less nostalgia for the DT shifters; I like being able to change gear with my hands still on the bars...
  • keef66 wrote:
    A whole bike. Helping my son tart up an old Peugeot I managed to true the original Campag wheels using a combination of brute force and ignorance, and repack the bearings so they at least spin. Sadly the Campag brake calipers and the DT shifters had been badly abused and missing some components so we elected to replace them with newer, functional items. The headset and BB too needed replacement, but the original quill stem and engraved alloy bars were duly polished and reused. Looks quite nice, and I'd forgotten how smooth a ride a steel frame could give. Less nostalgia for the DT shifters; I like being able to change gear with my hands still on the bars...

Should have just converted it to fixed ;-) Thats what I did with mine. Those old Peugeot frames are great for converting with their horizontal drops.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    My combi boiler. Packed up completely. Took the main PCB out, wired it onto a plug so I could run it on a bench and found a blown microfuse, worth 70p.

Saved at least £150 for a new PCB.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    DesWeller wrote:
    My combi boiler. Packed up completely. Took the main PCB out, wired it onto a plug so I could run it on a bench and found a blown microfuse, worth 70p.Saved at least £150 for a new PCB.
    In my ignorance I thought fuses blow for a reason .....
    Regards
    Alan
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    farrina wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:
    My combi boiler. Packed up completely. Took the main PCB out, wired it onto a plug so I could run it on a bench and found a blown microfuse, worth 70p.Saved at least £150 for a new PCB.
    In my ignorance I thought fuses blow for a reason .....

It was underspecced. 80mA. The revision of the PCB uses a fuse more than twice that value.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    Drive side bearings and cone on a rs30 back wheel :-) I could feel the rumbling thru the frame and the wheel wobbled, new parts and packed with grease and for £8 it feels beautiful :-D
  • Manc33
    Manc33 Posts: 2,157
    Nothing because nothing from 20 years ago fits on a bike these days. :P

Got 3 chainsets here and nothing off any of them fits with anything else off any of them. One of them even has the large chainring "blended" with the crank arm so you can't take the large chainring off. PITA because decent chainrings cost loads and I am stuck with obsolete sized crank arms anyway.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Just released a trout (about 1kg) my wife had caught back into the lake when my sunglasses fell off and disappeared into the depths luckily had the net in my hand and just caught them. Also did the same with my I Phone! After 48 hours in a bag of rice works again.