Campagnolo Power Torque Left Crank Arm Puller

aquickone
aquickone Posts: 148
edited January 2014 in Workshop
I realise that this question has been asked long ago when it was first released, but has anyone found a sensible non-expensive way to pull off the left crank arm, without having to buy the Park CBP-5 and CBP-3? I have screw in cups so don't need any of the bearing pulling bits, just need to pull off the left crank arm! Anyone found a sensible gear/bearing puller that works without damaging anything? Would be helpful to know for both alloy and carbon (as I can see from everything I have read they are different profiles and will probably replace my alloy with a carbon.) Any help much appreciated :)
Giant Anthem X1
Eddy Merckx EMX-1
Eddy Merckx AMX-1

Comments

• Don't even bother with the Park Tools, they are totally inadequate to remove Power Torque cranks. I bought them, big mistake, the handle on the extractor bent making the tool unusable before the crank got anywhere near moving. Luckily I was able to send them back to the retailer for a refund. The video on the Park website is laughable when compared to how much effort is actually needed to remove a properly installed crank.

I bought the Cyclus extractor which is excellent but 1) it is expensive and 2) it will only remove alloy cranks without buying an additional (equally expensive) adaptor.

Best to go Ultra Torque, no special tools needed apart from the long hex driver (cheap). For the price of my alloy Athena crank plus the Cyclus tool I could have bought the Chorus carbon crankset!
  • Also, I couldn't find a single bike shop that had the tools to remove a Power Torque crank, I phoned about 10 before I gave up!