21mm or 23mm Tyres for TT's?

gary.hounsome
gary.hounsome Posts: 296
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi All,

I have some planet x 50/82 wheels for my TT bike and am wondering which tubular tires to get.

They will be used for Time Trials wet or dry conditions / and some training.

I'm looking at the Vittoria Corsa EVO or EVO 2's which are only £30 on Planet X with a further 15% discount on Sunday, however they only have 21mm in stock.

Alternatively 23mm are £35 from Wiggle.

Obviously i'd like to save money where i can so if 21mm would be fine in the wet then that's what i will go for!

Cheers

Comments

• Personally I'd go for 23mm's.

I was hoping to bring back some of these cheap from Thailand, but the bike shop I found had them at £40!!
  • with a further 15% discount on Sunday

Or use the code UKTYRE15 and get the discount today :wink:
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    23mm for me.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    23mm Veloflex Pave with latex tubes in the dry, 23mm Open Corsa Evo CX in the wet
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    21mm front, 19mm rear.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • It really depends on the rim. I have built the rims you have and they are quite narrow. I have fitted both 21 and 23 mm tubs on them and the optimum fit was 22 (Continental)... so you can go either way. 21 will require high pressure, so not ideal in the wet... where you'll have to take it easy on the bends. But if it's wet, it's not a good day to do your PB anyway
    left the forum March 2023
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think wet can be a good day for PBs. Maybe not on a twisty turny TT - but I know my 10 PB on an out and back was on a wet day.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    cougie wrote:
    I think wet can be a good day for PBs. Maybe not on a twisty turny TT - but I know my 10 PB on an out and back was on a wet day.

Damp is faster, just watch the roundabouts.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Sounds like 23mm is the preference then, i guess riding in the wet you are more cautious however im more of a risk taker so will more likely be on the edge
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    No point in fitting skinny tyres if they are narrower than your rim plus they'll have higher rolling resistance.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..