Close Call

Brakeless
Brakeless Posts: 865
edited January 2014 in Road general
Close call but doesn't shed any light on what actually happened to cause it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... uises.html

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Can't decide if he was lucky or unlucky!
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    Rather him than me. Very fortunate outcome.

We have few facts but why should that stop us speculating wildly and demanding that the driver receive 100 lashes. I'll start the ball rolling by qouting:
    ... the driver, a 76-year-old local man ...
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    What a ledge.

"vows to be back on his bike within a month"
    'I can't remember what I was thinking at the time other than "There is a car on top of me"

No biggie!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    No Helmet No high viz, no road tax disc, blood on his face

#bloodycyclists indeed
  • Judging by the direction of the shadows in the photo and the car having it's sunvisor down, I wonder if low sun was a factor in this ... and a driver not slowing down due to restricted vision?

Seems the cyclist was lucky whatever happened.
  • johncp
    johncp Posts: 302
    ToeKnee wrote:
    Rather him than me. Very fortunate outcome.

We have few facts but why should that stop us speculating wildly and demanding that the driver receive 100 lashes. I'll start the ball rolling by qouting:
    ... the driver, a 76-year-old local man ...

or you could have quoted "(the cyclist) who had just pulled out of a junction in Worthing, West Sussex"

Just sayin'.....
    If you haven't got a headwind you're not trying hard enough
  • wavefront
    wavefront Posts: 397
    Whoever was at fault, quite miraculous /lucky no one suffered more injuries.

I don't often bite, but the comment left at the end of the article just makes me shake my head in despair that someone can have such a selfish and deluded attitude - how could you wish harm on others?

'Good serves him right, I wouldnt get in a car without a seat belt, crumple zones and a NCAP rating, yet these idiots get on our roads without insurance, road tax and expect a plastic helemt to protectr them, Thse roads are for cars NOT idiots on cycles, these arrogant fools think cars should move aside for them, Wrong, stay off our roads'.
  • Brant
    Brant Posts: 41
    coriordan wrote:
    No Helmet No high viz, no road tax disc, blood on his face

#bloodycyclists indeed

You can see he's got a helmet on in one of the other pics, only just.
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    wavefront wrote:

I don't often bite, but the comment left at the end of the article just makes me shake my head in despair that someone can have such a selfish and deluded attitude - how could you wish harm on others?

'Good serves him right, I wouldnt get in a car without a seat belt, crumple zones and a NCAP rating, yet these idiots get on our roads without insurance, road tax and expect a plastic helemt to protectr them, Thse roads are for cars NOT idiots on cycles, these arrogant fools think cars should move aside for them, Wrong, stay off our roads'.

Whenever there's an article on the Daily Mail site with a reference to cyclists the comments sections are full of this sort of crap. They do seem to be getting shot down a lot quicker than they used to be though.
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Glad to see the driver didn't need any hospital treatment!
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • Lucky escape.
    Driver looks way too close to the curb and the sun direction was obviously in the drivers face.

Probably was a low speed impact much less than <30mph. No helmet?

Looks like the anti cycle lobby is at it on the DM. People accusing the cyclist of pulling out in front of the driver when clearly the junction is way way down the road and not even visible on the photo showing the road.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    wavefront wrote:

I struggle to believe people can be that vile.
  • TakeTurns wrote:
    wavefront wrote:

I struggle to believe people can be that vile.

Well I have left my thoughts on the message. The DM will no doubt filter it out however as it has facts.

I just feel sick when you see some comments such as him deserving it, and the good old road tax argument.