Where to start

brh77
brh77 Posts: 242
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Hi-

I have a winter frame and a tiagra groupset to build up- but I have never built up from scratch before (just replaced parts on an existing build). This is going to sound stupid- but do I need to start anywhere in particular- ie- fit the BB and Chainset first- then the mechs etc? I want to avoid building something up then having to undo it all to do something else afterwards.......

Ta

Ben

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Depending on the frame, I normally leave the BB out until the end. In some frames leaving the BB out gives internal access to the frame for pulling cables through (but only if the frame has internal cabling).

I generally start by fitting the forks, then stem/handlebars followed by shifters. Then wire up the shift and brake cables.

Last thing I install is the BB/chainset - and once chain set is in, attach the mech cables and adjust front and rear shifting.
  • brh77
    brh77 Posts: 242
    Great- it's not internal- so the cabling should be simple. I have the stem and bars on already- but I will get the shifters on first......

Thanks!

B
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If I remember correctly I built my CR1 up in the following order:

Seatpost first so I could then clamp it in the work stand
    Headset cups / bearings then the fork and stem
    Handlebars
    Brake calipers
    Chainset (BB came fitted)
    Front and rear mechs
    Shifters
    Gear and brake cables
    Wheels
    Chain
    (set up and index the gears, adjust the brakes, trim and cap the cables)
    Saddle

Didn't tape the bars until I'd done a couple of test rides to confirm the shifters were in the right place.

Stuck on the cable rub protectors once a fellow forumite told me I'd find them in the box :D