Dream Bike - comfy, easy to ride, hard wearing, handsome

a_nic_an
a_nic_an Posts: 6
edited January 2014 in Commuting general
Hello all and thanks for any advice you might be able to give;

I am looking for my dream bike.
I get a lot of joy out of cycling slowly along the country lanes where I live, never in a rush and always looking around, on top of my heavy FELT mountain bike that has large Big Apple tyres on to make it a little more efficient.

I am now looking to replace that mountain bike with something that will continue to provide that joyous feeling of stability, comfort and relaxed bliss of not having to rush, being able to take in the scenery at leisure and not breaking a sweat in the process so that I can continue a conversation.

The main problems with the mountain bike are that it is extremely heavy, not very smart, has required a fair bit of upkeep and it came with a very early model of disk breaks which have not always been reliable.

I assume that what I want is a hybrid, my wife has a £400 Ridgeback hybrid that I find comfortable but still a little heavy. I can spend up to £1000 (cycle to work scheme); please, with your wealth of knowledge, can you suggest a few options?

The criteria are these:
Very comfy from which I can look around at the countryside - upright position?
Can pull a trailer with a child in it -
Light weight with low gearing for our hilly Cornish town.
Low maintenance - would this mean having a chainguard?

People have suggested Gazelle but they seem very expensive, Pashley but they seem to be very heavy and I have found a brand called Retrovelo which look beautiful to me.

Thanks so much for any tips you might have.
Regards;
Nic

Comments

• xcMuttley
    xcMuttley Posts: 434
    From the information you have given it sound like a Charge Grater would be perfect for you! Much lighter than any of the bikes you have metioned above and if you get it with hub gears there is very little maintenance needed.
    Frankly if you want lightweight you need to stay well away from Pashley and Gazelle as i cant think of two heavier brands of bikes.
    Is it a step through frame your after too? Charge do both step thru and standard both seem to be right up your street.
    Check out my blog for my views and reviews: http://memylifeandmybike.blogspot.co.uk/
  • Thanks very much;
    I was worried that Pashleys etc might be heavy, we have a baby on the way so I want to find something for lugging a trailer around the countryside. I had noticed a LBS selling Trek FXs and made a mental note that they might work. Will have a look at the Charge bike now.
    Cheers;
    Nic
  • I like the look of the Grater, would be going for the step over model; would I be able to fit a chainguard to it? I also wondered about if there was much I could do to make it look a bit more traditional? Maybe a leather look seat and handlebar grips, dynamo lights. They might all look a bit weird on a modern looking bike though.
  • xcMuttley
    As part of the frame is obstructing most of the chain i dont think a chain guard would be necessary, but there are places you can buy universal chain-guards to fit. If you have a look at charge saddles they do it in a very nice leather look. Leather look grips are always easy to come by with a quick search. As for the dynamo light you should be able to fit one! Have a look at bobbin bicycles retro lights :) Bobbin bikes may also be another option, but as with the pashley etc. they are much heavier than the Charge.
    Check out my blog for my views and reviews: http://memylifeandmybike.blogspot.co.uk/
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    or look at a genesis day one alfine 8. very good all round commuter type bike. disc brakes, good hub gear and drop bars (which might but you off but try it befor eyou dismiss it - you get multi hand positions so its a lot comfier for any long rides. prcie for cycle to work schemes at £999 I believe.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    I'd suggest trawling the internet for manufacturers and make sure you are looking in the "touring" sections. I haven't looked myself but I would be very surprised if Dawes don't do something similar to what you are after. I think my vision of a tourer is something in either a dark green or blue, with brown handlebar tape and saddle. With chrome mudguards and some other shiney bits and pieces!
  • xcMuttley
    t4tomo wrote:
    or look at a genesis day one alfine 8. very good all round commuter type bike. disc brakes, good hub gear and drop bars (which might but you off but try it befor eyou dismiss it - you get multi hand positions so its a lot comfier for any long rides. prcie for cycle to work schemes at £999 I believe.

With the two genesis's i own and a lover of the brand how the hell did i not think of that lol
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I'd be looking at a custom steel bike with hand built wheels suitable for your needs and the best groupset your budget allows.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • xcMuttley
    unixnerd wrote:
    I'd be looking at a custom steel bike with hand built wheels suitable for your needs and the best groupset your budget allows.

Dont think its possible to get any custom bike on the cycle to work scheme?
  • Thanks all.
    My LBS stocks Genesis bikes and loves them. I wasnt really thinking of them becuase they all seem to have drop handlebars.
    Would it be possible to put the seat post and handlebars at such an angle that i would still get an upright, relaxed riding position for going slowly?
  • Also, would the Genesis handle as well on paths as the Charge?
  • xcMuttley
    Genesis bikes are brilliant and i would highly recommend them (See my two below lol) I would say try the drop handlebars before making adjustments, but it would be as simple as fitting a shorter stem and an in line seatpost. I would highly suggest the genesis but the charge and genesis are very different bikes... In an ideal world i would say try both and decide which is best!
  • Pashley Pashley Pashley!!!!

I'd get the Clubman Country or the Countryman from what you describe of your wants. Me personally, I will eventually get a Clubman Urban this year.

BTW, my first poast on BR. :)
  • Trek Domane 4.3. Merida One.forty 7.700. Merida CX 3. Voodoo Bizango
    "When the vulture flies sideways the moon has hair on his upper lip"