Schwalbe 650b

ej2320
ej2320 Posts: 1,543
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
Looking to get a set of Schwalbe Hans Dampf Evo tyres (650bx2.35)

They're £65 + delivery on Bike Discount for 1 Pacestar and 1 Trailstar

I've searched round all the obvious places, but I thought it would be worth asking if anyone has seen them any cheaper or knows a good site I should check out?

Thanks

Comments

• ej2320 wrote:

I've searched round all the obvious places, but I thought it would be worth asking if anyone has seen them any cheaper or knows a good site I should check out?

Thanks

I looked but that was the best price I could find a few months back.

Just had to return some pikes to them so I will find out how good the returns are compared to CRC/Wiggle. Impressed up to now with the whole prepaid parcel documentation. I just printed it off and dropped them at the post office.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 wrote:

Thanks

Just had to return some pikes to them so I will find out how good the returns are compared to CRC/Wiggle. Impressed up to now with the whole prepaid parcel documentation. I just printed it off and dropped them at the post office.

From what I've heard they're very good to deal with although I've never used them myself

Oh and when you get your new Pikes fitted drop a small review on your Bronson thread, I'm interested to hear a comparison between them and the 34s
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    ej2320 wrote:

Thanks

Hope they don't bin them like they did with someone's Fox shock in another thread...
  • ej

I have been struggling to find a supplier for these in China, everyone is out of stock. I think that Schwalbe need to get on with making more as supply does not seem to be able to keep up with demand.

I haven't ordered from these guys as I am struggling to work out what the cost of carriage is and whether I can get them to be delivered via my friend in customs to avoid the taxes, the price seems excellent.

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a85337 ... eifen.html
    http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a85338 ... lding.html
  • ej2320 wrote:

Thanks

Hope they don't bin them like they did with someone's Fox shock in another thread...

Its via Parcel Force and they are already sat in the delivery centre in Germany 8)

They are not accepting parcels until Monday. Understandable really, they probably have a lot to send out and catch up on.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I sent a faulty Reverb back to Bike Discount and had a new one back with me within around 10 days (got it back on Xmas eve). They email you once they receive the item back, then again once they have posted the replacement, along with detailed tracking info. Very quick to respond to emails too. Can't fault them at all.

As for paying £65 for Hans Dampfs... I hope that's for two!
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • I've used them twice for tyres, cheapest and arrived inside 3 days.
  • have been struggling to find a supplier for these in China, everyone is out of stock. I think that Schwalbe need to get on with making more as supply does not seem to be able to keep up with demand.ID9BXN
  • CitizenLee
    Must be result of 650b being the latest trend.

29ers probably faced similar problems until they had been on the go for a while.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • ej2320
    CitizenLee wrote:
    As for paying £65 for Hans Dampfs... I hope that's for two!

Yep that is for both front and back

Hi Bike have them at €60 + €9 delivery

I'm not sure on the delivery charge from Bike Discount but the tyres once folded should be small enough for the £5 postage option

Hi Bike is cheaper according to the google exchange rate but I'm not sure on the banks..
  • ej2320
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Must be result of 650b being the latest trend.

29ers probably faced similar problems until they had been on the go for a while.

The other problem is other than Maxxis there aren't many other 650b options
    Continental are set to launch their 650b range but I've heard nothing yet..
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Its via Parcel Force and they are already sat in the delivery centre in Germany 8)

We used to use Parcelforce at work (we sent and received a lot of parcels) and they were really good most of the time - quick and reliable, very few problems. I sent my Wilbers shock (with pressurised nitrogen reservoir) back to Germany via Parcelforce with no problems (collected from my door and it was at Wilbers in Germany in less than 48 hours).
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Bikediscount are good- almost as fast to deliver as crc.

Schwalbe won't be manufacturing huge quantities of tyres just now because now that competitors are getting into 650b they know people'll stop buying their overpriced fast-wearing rubbish ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • CitizenLee
    Northwind wrote:
    Bikediscount are good- almost as fast to deliver as crc.

Schwalbe won't be manufacturing huge quantities of tyres just now because now that competitors are getting into 650b they know people'll stop buying their overpriced fast-wearing rubbish ;)

...or they want to see if enough people will fall for the bigger is better marketing b/s :twisted:

Really though, until it's more widely adopted you'll see slim pickings from most manufacturers.

£65 for two is decent though ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • ej2320
    While I'm here

For a tubeless setup are the Stans ZTR Flow EX rims fine with Schwalbe TL-Ready tyres?
    I'll be using Superstar 25mm rim tape and Superstar valves with Stans sealant
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Schwalbe had a bad patch a couple of years ago where some of the Evo tyres were made out of tolerance and too tight for reliable fitting to tubeless rims... (the internet was convinced it was a stans issue for some reason, but they were too tight for my Mavic USTs too) But recent ones should be fine. I wouldn't want to swear by it but I think all tyres using the new names- pacestar, trailstar etc- should be fine, and all 650b models should also be fine.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ej2320
    The Flow EX are the widest rim as well so I'd assume they'd be fine

It will be the Trailstar/Pacestar ones as well

I think I'll go for it and worst case run tubes or send them back