Fork replacement on a Carrera Vulcan '10

niallglynane
niallglynane Posts: 4
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm just in the process of replacing my old forks.

When putting everything back together will the star nut stop the fork from moving laterally? by pulling it together?

Mine isn't quiet yet flush where the "cartridge" and its dust seal is like in the picture and i wondered if the star nut would remove the gap

LL

thanks

Niall

Comments

• oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    Yes, tightening the top cap should compress everything together and prevent any play. You should not need to crank it up super tight as it will stiffen up the steering.

If there is play present when it's been tightened it could mean you have missed something during the headset re-assembly or possibly in the wrong order. Either that or the headset bearings may need replacing.

How much space do you have between the top of the steerer tube and the top of the stem? As it should be a minimum of 3mm and a maximum of 10mm.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    First. Have you removed the old crown race of the old fork and fitted it to the new fork?

A star nut will not remove any gap.

A star nut is just a nut held in the steerer tube to allow you to preload the bearings as required.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Yes i have re fitted the old crown race.

Should the top of the head set in the picture which says cartridge on it "click" into place?

there is a gap of 3mm from the steertube to the stem, the steerer tube is exactly the same length as the old one i removed.

Don't think i have missed anything, as there's nothing spare.
  • The gap is 1mm or less would the preload not remove this?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    With it assembled and the stem pushed down ( loosen the bolts) there should be gap of 3-5mm between the top of the stem and the top of the steerer (stem being above the top of the steerer) for that gap to be there you haven't preloaded the bearings properly, either doing up the stem first of the steerer being too long.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    So what is the gap?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    The gap is 1mm or less would the preload not remove this?
    Who knows as we can not see what your problem is.

Read the manual. Read Parktools, read Sheldon Brown or post pictures of YOUR problem posting pictures of someone else's correctly fitted part helps no one.

Ps you do have some means to preload the bearings fitted don't you?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown