Help needed with Ribble r872

JED4742
JED4742 Posts: 13
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi guys new to this forum stuff.But I need some help just about to order a ribble r872 with full Ultegra group set and Fulcrum 3 racing.Ive heard some good reports and some bad about the service but I'm gonna take the plunge as the bike looks super slick,just concerned with what frame size to buy as I'm just over 5'10 with a 31' inside leg does anyone have any idea, or had the same dilemma as my LBS said I should buy a bike from them so not much help.

Comments

• Have you used the detailed guide on the Ribble site? Give that a go first, and I think there is also a phone number quoted on the site that they ask you to call before ordering if any concerns.

Re the service, I didn't have any issues.

Good luck.
  • maringirl
    maringirl Posts: 195
    Can you buy some punctuation marks whilst you're at it? :)
  • JED4742
    Cheers for the advice on all fronts.I have used the guide on the bike builder guide and I land in between the 50cm and the 52.5cm frame.So I guess I will try and call them tomorrow.
  • Bookwyse
    Bookwyse Posts: 245
    I'm 5'11" and have the 52.5 and it fits me perfectly.

Hers mine in its new guise for this year, planning to hit some TTs on it.

image_zps077ace9a.jpg~original
  • JED4742
    Slick machine,what length stem did you go for? And how did you find the service? as I'm a little concerned as its all email and there shop is quite a distance from where I live.
  • Bookwyse
    Bookwyse Posts: 245
    When it's in normal road use I use a 100cm stem with no issues.

Service wise they have been spot on with no issues at all.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    JED4742 wrote:
    Slick machine,what length stem did you go for? And how did you find the service? as I'm a little concerned as its all email and there shop is quite a distance from where I live.

Just under 5'10" and I went for the 50cm frame. Have a look at the TT measurement and compare with what you are used to. I found service to be good, sure it took a time to build the bike but I was not in a hurry and all went according to plan. I live nowhere near Preston so it was a leap of confidence for me too. They have recently moved to bigger premises so things might be different to how people have reported in the past (lots of negative reports)
  • JED4742
    Hi guys I spoke to ribble today and they've recommended a 52.5cm frame with a 110 stem,so I guess the know there bikes better than I do so here goes,I guess I'll order it over the weekend and hope there knowledge is better then mine and I'll let you know when it arrives.
  • Camcycle1974
    Good luck, sure you will be fine. Look forward to the day it arrives, I know I did.
  • JED4742
    Hi guys,ordered my r872 and arrived in 4days and it is fantastic in looks and performance ,the service was fantastic from start to finish so if your thinking of using ribble for your next bike don't hesitate it was plain sailing.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    Nice one, these are nice looking bikes, any chance of some photos of it?
  • JED4742 wrote:
    Hi guys,ordered my r872 and arrived in 4days

Wow, that is some turn around. Usually the builds take 2 to 3 weeks so you have done really well there. Perhaps they are not that busy at present.
    Ribble Ultralite Racing 7005, Campagnolo Veloce groupset, Campagnolo Khamsin G3 wheel set
  • Hi
    Just wondering hows the bike and in particular how is the frame size you chose?
    I am considering the gran fondo - and like you I was struggling on the frame size and I am 5'10". Ribble site recommends the 52cm M frame, and even on the cusp of both frame sizes it recommends going to the lower size i.e. the 52cm. So as I was confused and didn't want to spend a lot of money on the wrong size I went over to the showroom last week and tried a lot of diff set-ups. And surprisingly - although the 52cm was fine it did not give me quiet the same upright 'more relaxed' position as the 55cm did. So it seems that for me the 55cm is the one as the 52cm was making me stretch more.
    I still cant get my head around it, as the geometry seems to suggest to opposite but the L definitely felt less stretched that the M. I think it was due to the saddle height which gave me the more aero position as the saddle moves away the higher it went, whereas on the L the saddle is that bit lower. I think that was the the answer, and seems to make sense when I look at the photos.
    Anyway just wondered how your frame feels having gone for the M size, albeit a different frame altogether.
    Thanks
  • Camcycle1974
    Hi
    Just wondering hows the bike and in particular how is the frame size you chose?
    I am considering the gran fondo - and like you I was struggling on the frame size and I am 5'10". Ribble site recommends the 52cm M frame, and even on the cusp of both frame sizes it recommends going to the lower size i.e. the 52cm. So as I was confused and didn't want to spend a lot of money on the wrong size I went over to the showroom last week and tried a lot of diff set-ups. And surprisingly - although the 52cm was fine it did not give me quiet the same upright 'more relaxed' position as the 55cm did. So it seems that for me the 55cm is the one as the 52cm was making me stretch more.
    I still cant get my head around it, as the geometry seems to suggest to opposite but the L definitely felt less stretched that the M. I think it was due to the saddle height which gave me the more aero position as the saddle moves away the higher it went, whereas on the L the saddle is that bit lower. I think that was the the answer, and seems to make sense when I look at the photos.
    Anyway just wondered how your frame feels having gone for the M size, albeit a different frame altogether.

I don't see how you can be less stretched on a 55 than a 52? By definition the tr is longer. It may fit your dimensions better I guess
    Thanks
  • dwanes
    Tiberius, you are like me in that you fall between to sizes. I would go with the larger size as there will be less of a drop between the saddle and the bars.
    The ideal size bike is one where the stem is slammed (and that is not an aesthetic thing). Like me I doubt you will get near that if you went for the size down because it would be too uncomfortable.
  • Hi
    I don't see how you can be less stretched on a 55 than a 52? By definition the tr is longer. It may fit your dimensions better I guess
    Thanks

Thanks Cam, maybe 'stretched' was a misleading adjective, for the reason you say but it was def more comfortable. And maybe it was the more upright position due to seat and stem set up that gave that impression of being less stretched due to relative position of arms and torso across the diff bikes. I am no expert or bike fitter so I was just trying to gauge others opinions in case i had it totally wrong. thanks
  • dwanes wrote:
    Tiberius, you are like me in that you fall between to sizes. I would go with the larger size as there will be less of a drop between the saddle and the bars.
    The ideal size bike is one where the stem is slammed (and that is not an aesthetic thing). Like me I doubt you will get near that if you went for the size down because it would be too uncomfortable.

thanks Dwanes. glad i was not imagining that re the comfort. I did have doubts when I got home and was even contemplating going back to the shop again. Not exactly on the corner. Anyway feel more satisfied that my recollection was correct. Pardon my ignorance but when you say stem was slammed what does that mean? thanks
  • dwanes
    Slammed is just a slang phrase for 'no spacers' under the stem. In an ideal situation (on a bike that fits best) you shouldn't need any spacers under the stem.
    Obviously most us might have a spacer or two to ease our backs a little. If you went for a frame the size down, more often than not you would have to put in more spacers to raise the handlebars.
  • Ah ha - thanks.
    And yes agree - if the bars were any lower would break me I think :-)
    Not exactly a 20yo any more :-(
  • Camcycle1974
    Ah ha - thanks.
    And yes agree - if the bars were any lower would break me I think :-)
    Not exactly a 20yo any more :-(

Take it down a spacer at a time.My 872 (50cm) has a 145mm head tube which is a lot lower than my previous bike. Getting used to the lower position takes time but I am getting there. No spring chicken either (nearly 40) but I don't find it too low.
  • Thanks will give it a go.
    BTW I am the other side of that number :-)