dilema Jekyll vs trance

jfry94
jfry94 Posts: 392
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
Right guys. Which do I choose.
Cannondale Jekyll 3 2013
Pros.
Ive ridden one and found it really nice.
The travel adjust.
Lifetime warranty.
Available now.
£300 cheaper
Cons.
Weighty
I would need to spread around £800 over 6 months finance.

Equal
Unique shock but is serviced by mojo.
26er.

Or do I go for the
Giant trance 27.5 2.
Pros.
Lighter.
Slightly better spec'd
Lifetime warranty.
Approximately £350 of free stuff.
No finance needed.

Cons.
Need to get a demo.
Needs a fit upgrade (info from rockmonkey)
Not available til mid April.

Equal.
650b

So which would you guys pick.
2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
2007 Carrera Kraken

Comments

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    neither cant stand giant or cannondale lol

probably the giant at a push - what upgrade does it require?
  • jfry94
    Rockmonkeysc said its let down by the fork and a fit cartridge would help.

Links.
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b65s1p51 ... YLL-3-2013

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/giant ... -2014.html
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • poah
    rockmonkey talks through his arse TBH lol

nothing wrong with the O/C damping and its also user serviceable unlike the FIT.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The standard damper is not servicable, its a sealed cartridge. I spent a fair amount of time on the phone to mojo and tf tuned discussing upgrades and tuning.
    When I test rode the Trance I thought it was a really great bike let down by a bad fork and a slightly ropey shock. I could live with the shock for a while but not the fork.
    The Fox evo fork is very basic and poorly damped plus it doesn't have the best track record for reliability.
  • poah
    the O/C can be opened at home and an oil change done

copied from another forum

To service the CTD O/C damper:
    -Remove the foot nut part way, use it to knock the rebound shaft loose of the lowers.
    remove the footnut
    -Use a 28mm (assuming a fox 34) 6 sided socket wrench filed/milled down to remove the chamfer so it has good contact with the nut flats to remove the damper cartridge from the crown.
    -The damper cartridge including rebound assembly should pull straight up out of the crown.
    -Put the cartridge in a 1" shaft clamp (or use a strap wrench, or whatever you can come up with (don't damage the cartridge by holding it too tightly)) to unscrew the compression damper out of the cartridge. It's probably best to clamp about 1.5-2" below the top of the damper so you don't put extra pressure on the threads you are trying to unscrew.
    -When the damper is unthreaded you can then pull the damper out, it has 2 o-rings that seal against the cartridge and can be a bit tough to pull out, go slow, be gentle, etc.
    -Now your cartridge is open, dump the oil, cycle the rebound shaft a few times to get any extra oil out and replace.
    -Put it back together the opposite way it was pulled apart.

not like the open bath dampers but still home changeable

however, its fox and crap anyway lol
  • rockmonkeysc
    It needs more than a change of oil weight to sort out the compression damper. It feels like a Rockshox TK damper but on a much more expensive fork. Very basic damping with little control.
  • poah
  • rockmonkeysc
    Fox make some good forks, just not the evolution range.
  • poah
    the only ones I've heard that have been good are RLC or push tuned forks - what I normally hear is they are either too soft or too hard or flexy lol
  • The one you like - If you've ridden the Jekyll and like it - that's all that matters - sounds like a good deal. and its cheaper than the giant which as you've mentioned may need a bit of tinkering to get the suspension feeling right.

As for the weight - you'll get fitter if you ride it enough and later upgrades on wheels and tyres can surprisingly lighten things up (i.e. the wtb tyres are 905g on paper - Schwable Hans Dampfs are 780 on paper despite also being big grippy tyres... The wheels are 1960g - Even a set of Hop pro 2 on something like a ZTR flow rim will come out at 250g lighter - Half a kilo of the wheels will be easy if you eventually find it a chore...
  • jfry94
    Cheers pal. I'm leaning more towards the cannon Dale mainly because I'm to impatient to wait for the giant. But also because i like the travel adjust feature and find it a fun bike to ride. All I've got to do know is hope Paul's still has it in a medium and i get accepted for the finance. I meet the requirement's but I'm only 19. If I don't get it I'll just have to wait and get the giant.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • Jomox
    Jomox Posts: 250
    POAH wrote:
    the only ones I've heard that have been good are RLC or push tuned forks - what I normally hear is they are either too soft or too hard or flexy lol

Sounds like your mixing Fox up with another brand.
  • poah
    Jomox wrote:
    POAH wrote:

nope
  • jfry94
    Just to let everyone know i've been accepted for the finance on the jekyll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... ckptY#t=58

Just got to wait for to arrive.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • rockmonkeysc
    POAH wrote:
    Jomox wrote:
    POAH wrote:

nope

Thats about right. Fox have lost the plot with the CTD forks.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Wow, that's a big 'ol 1980s bush ya got there...
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • I'm really tempted by one if these as well. Can't seem to find one anywhere to have a test if though. Be interesting how you get on with it. Main concern for me is the weight.
  • jfry94
    The weights not really an issue for me as Im over weight anyway. I'll lose the few pounds difference by riding it. And I take it easy on the climbs so the extra weight doesn't really bother me. The thing that surprised me was how chunky the frame was. The down tube is bigger than a can of beans.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • What size have you ordered? Just wondering what it actually weighs complete? My current bike is 29.5 pounds complete.
  • jfry94
    Mines a medium. I'll give it a weigh when it gets here.

Did yours come with the shock pump?
    And what's peoples opinions on going tubeless?

As an update the bike is now with the couriers. :)
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken