help with fox float 150 rlc fit 2011 settings

jonnyashworth
jonnyashworth Posts: 547
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I am after a bit of help setting up my "Fox RLC 150 FIT - 2011" forks as I am struggling a little. I am finding that I am only utilising about 60/70% of the effective travel on rides where on my other bike with RCT3 Rev's I am using 85/90% riding in just the same way (and the revs feel perfect).

I weigh 180lbs possibly a few more with a full camelback etc
I have the rebound where I want it.
I have tried the pressure as low as 55 psi and found that I utilised more travel but experienced excessive break dive and to much of a spongey feel.
Tried using fox's recommended 70 psi and found the forks to be much better during the initial travel but got loads of arm pump when the going got rough and only used about 55/60% of available travel.
I have spent ages fiddling with the low speed compression and the pressures and just cant seem to get the fork to perform properly.

I have also carried out a seal and oil change using the 30ml fox 10wt green in both legs. (didn't replace the float fluid though)

So what should I do now???
If you have the same fork and are the same weight as me what settings do you have it on?? and are you happy with it?
Yeti SB66c 2013

Comments

• Did you check the amount of float fluid in the air chamber?
  • no how do I do that??
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    to start with they are two different forks so its not surprising they don't feel the same - how is the low speed compression set up on the fox?
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    I have the 36 float RC2. I'm a bit heavier than you though.

Set the sag as per sitting on the bike, not the recommended pressure, although I did find them reasonably accurate (compared to RS)

The fluid in the legs is for lubrication only and shouldn't have too a drastic impact on performance.

The Rev is not the same as a 36. Rev is more of a trail fork where the 36 is happier charging down a rock garden. I've found that my 36 is quite harsh when riding places like Degla, but is amazing at Antur. So much so I'm considering buying a set of Pikes for trail riding.

Arm pump is your muscles, not the fork.
  • oxocube1
    oxocube1 Posts: 651
    Do you happen to know when then damper side oil was last changed? They maybe due an uppertube service. Using different weights of oil in the damper can effect how the fork feels/rides.
  • You need to open the air chamber and see if the oil has migrated from the lower leg into the air chamber. Let all the air out of the fork and then crack the top cap off and drain the chamber. Usually you will find a mix of green oil and float fluid.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    It's a sealed unit so won't need servicing yet. My forks are 2010 and the oil in the damper was like new. Sounds like a sag issue. Too low at 55 so the forks were sitting too far into travel, but potentially too high at 70 (although could be down to harshness of forks on less aggressive terrain)
  • GOT IT!!!!!

thanks all for the help.

let the air out - popped off the top with a 25 mm socket and found that there was about 40/50 ml of float fluid in there (looked like neat float fluid to me not a mix of float fluid + 10wt green) so drained it down and popped in the recommended 5ml and bobs your uncle.

BTW I now have the revs and floats setup to feel 99% the same fox's suffer a bit less stiction but other than that.....
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • POAH wrote:
    to start with they are two different forks so its not surprising they don't feel the same - how is the low speed compression set up on the fox?

surely low speed compression wont stop a fork utilising its full travel?? surely it is give more resistance in the initial part of the forks travel??
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • GOT IT!!!!!

thanks all for the help.

let the air out - popped off the top with a 25 mm socket and found that there was about 40/50 ml of float fluid in there (looked like neat float fluid to me not a mix of float fluid + 10wt green) so drained it down and popped in the recommended 5ml and bobs your uncle.

BTW I now have the revs and floats setup to feel 99% the same fox's suffer a bit less stiction but other than that.....

Glad I could help. Its a common problem with Fox forks and has I believe only just been sorted by a new double seal arrangement on the newer air springs.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    POAH wrote:

surely low speed compression wont stop a fork utilising its full travel?? surely it is give more resistance in the initial part of the forks travel??

LSC helps with brake dive/pedal bob but you seem to have solve the issue. having fluid in the air chamber will have ramped up the spring rate at the end of the stroke