TRP Hy/Rd - anyone have stock?

majormantra
majormantra Posts: 2,094
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
I think I know the answer but I might have missed something. The distributor is showing 4 weeks+ for these, the Spyre has been recalled, and those were my top 2 choices. :evil:

Anyone got them?

Comments

• 2oldnslow
    2oldnslow Posts: 313
    Sorry can't help in answering your question but having used them myself now for some months I'd hazard a guess if you're patient you won't be disappointed good luck.
  • barrie h
    barrie h Posts: 102
    I believe FatBirds dont fly have TRP Hy/Rd in stock
    I have one on the front of my CX bike I stops fine but you the follow the instructions but it is quiet no rubbing at all

Barrie
  • majormantra
    I think they did until quite recently. Unfortunately I hesitated, stupidly.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    yeah, got mine early at fatbirds, thought they would go fast .. hope you find some
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Maybe there are supply problems due to the recall.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • epsilon
    epsilon Posts: 31
    I tried all online options too after my Spyres got recalled, but it looks like the distributor is out till late January.
  • majormantra
    :(

Considering trying to buy from the US but with duty/VAT it could get rather expensive. Not to mention that if they end up recalling them or something it will be immensely inconvenient.
  • :(

Considering trying to buy from the US but with duty/VAT it could get rather expensive. Not to mention that if they end up recalling them or something it will be immensely inconvenient.

How about spare pads and stuff? Wouldn't bother.
    BB7 and CX5 are both very good IMO, the rest is fashion and peer pressure
    It'll be a few more years before road hydraulics are worth considering... Hy/Rd is just a botch up compromise and will be super seeded very soon
    left the forum March 2023
  • majormantra
    I don't see why pads should be an issue, they're compatible with Shimano.

I don't like the way there's a fixed pad with standard cable discs. It's inelegant and you have to make frequent adjustments to stop things rubbing.

I may end up getting some CX77s as a stop gap though.
  • I don't like the way there's a fixed pad with standard cable discs. It's inelegant and you have to make frequent adjustments to stop things rubbing.

It can be an issue if you race... but if you do, you should really get Cantis. If you don't, then the adjustments are every other week or so and take about 30 seconds.
    I will keep the CX5 until something significantly better and possibly fully Hydro comes to the market... it'll be a while before it is reliable and filters down to a groupset I can actually afford to buy. Realistically 5 years
  • majormantra
    I have a CX bike with cantis, they suck! Maybe not such an issue for racing (I haven't done that yet, first try on Sunday) but for general riding around I want something that doesn't need a deathgrip on downhills.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235

Wouldn't bother.
    BB7 and CX5 are both very good IMO, the rest is fashion and peer pressure
    It'll be a few more years before road hydraulics are worth considering... Hy/Rd is just a botch up compromise and will be super seeded very soon

Yebbut Hy/Rd's will be a LOT cheaper than any road-specific disc set-up for a good while yet - we have the levers already. (Yes I have some). The good thing is you can keep close pad clearances without rubs (I never could quite manage that with my BB7's, well not as close as I like), and they do have a bit more feel and modulation over the totally mechanical set-up. And surprisingly they are a lower profile than the BB7's by some margin, meaning (on my "general purpose" bike) I could fit 'guards with minimal stay bending and a small spacer on the LH fork leg.

And they certainly don't look like a "botch-up". A LOT neater than that dreadful Hope under-stem box.
  • I also run HYRDs and they have been great so far (only had them on the bike for a couple of thousand miles). No adjustments necessary once set up. None of the dragging reported on mechanical discs. You don't need special brake pads so that's not an issue.

The guys criticising HYRDs don't appear to have tried them.
  • rafletcher wrote:
    The good thing is you can keep close pad clearances without rubs (I never could quite manage that with my BB7's, well not as close as I like), and they do have a bit more feel and modulation over the totally mechanical set-up.

I think modulation is an empty word... both system move pads progressively and both system have modulation. Mechanical have a different feel as the vibrations are transmitted via the metal cable and you can feel any roughness in your hands, while hydraulic systems don't transmit any of that, therefore you get the modulation impression, meaning the more you squeeze the more they brake (as opposed to the more you squeeze the more you get vibrations). As a matter of fact, the braking progression is pretty much the same in the two systems.
    Hydraulics increase the force applied to the pads, but you don't need that, as you've got plenty of force in a mechanical system and too much force combined with tiny tyres is a not a good idea.
    Agree the Hope system is a real botch up. I am also a bit concerned about the Hy/Rd... the fluid reservoir must be very small, so overheating can be an issue?
    I am not against HyRd, but it seems to me something of a work in progress, that in a year will be replaced by something better and will look obsolete
  • majormantra
    I can guarantee that if I buy the Hy/Rd TRP will immediately release a better, cheaper, more beautiful Mk.II. Story of my life.
  • I can guarantee that if I buy the Hy/Rd TRP will immediately release a better, cheaper, more beautiful Mk.II. Story of my life.

It's not bad luck... it just means you are one of the first to pick up trends. When I bought the Croix de Fer in Dec 2009 it was pretty much the only bike with discs... within a couple of years there were loads of lighter ones.

Road hydraulics are just coming to market and all these experiments are due to become obsolete in no time. If they cost the same as a mechanical system, then there is no harm... if they cost a lot more, then its a waste of money, as next year you'll lure after the newer better system regardless. They're going to be the next big thing in road cycling and in 5 years we will laugh at these Frankenstein hybrid things
  • majormantra
    True. It's just I'm not waiting 5 years to build my bike. :)

Current thinking is to get the Shimanos as a stopgap whilst awaiting develpments but I'm not committing quite yet.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Shimano's R785 road STI with hydraulic calipers will be out soon. I have mine on back order with madison can't wait to try them out.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Shimano's R785 road STI with hydraulic calipers will be out soon. I have mine on back order with madison can't wait to try them out.

IS there a non Di2 version for these?
  • majormantra
    Not yet. Are you really going Di2 Malcolm?
  • Not yet. Are you really going Di2 Malcolm?

Don't worry, we'll have him sectioned... :wink: