Performance hybridVSflat bar road bike/Shimano DeoreVSclaris

JediBiker
JediBiker Posts: 15
edited January 2014 in Commuting general
Hello bikers,
I'm looking for a new bike for longer and faster rides. I'm planning to use it for long distance commute (50 km) and touring (mainly road but I'm sure there will be plenty off-road miles) so it must be able to mount rack, etc.
I was thinking that a hybrid bicycle was the best choice but even inside the hybrid category there are so many choices.
That's why I need some help with my final decision as I round it up to just two bikes now.
One is a performance hybrid (2014 Giant Escape 0)
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/escape.0/14810/66190/
The other is flat bar road bike (2014 Scott Metrix 30)
http://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/products/234129008/bike-metrix-30-l/
The Metrix is $70 cheaper.
My main question is component wise. While the Metrix has road-oriented gearing the Escape has mountain bike-oriented parts.
Shimano Deore (mid-range MTB) or Claris (new low-range road) components, which one do you think is better? which will last longer? be more durable in the long run.
If you look at shimano hierarchy of components, Deore seems to be the better option but I've also heard that road component tend to be lighter and last longer than MTB parts.
There is also the issue of wheel width, :? 28c-30c-32c-35c-37c I want the narrower width that would allow me to go through some light trails off road.
Thanks in advance for any advice or info on the matter :wink:

Comments

• Deore is far better than Claris and mtb components are stronger than road bike components because they are expected to take more punishment. Also given the choice between 24 speed (Scott) or 30 speed (Giant) I would go with the latter.

But to be honest the gearing would not be my reason for buying a bike. You need to get a test ride of them both and see which one feels better to ride, if they are equal then choose the Giant because of the better drive train.

As for the tyres one has 30mm tyres and the other has 32mm and you will not really notice the difference. I fully expect that either of the rims would take 28mm tyres as well.

NP
  • Thanks for the info.

I'm leaning towards the Giant also, but the bigger plates of the road gearing components (Claris) make me think of the improvement in top speed jeje

About the tyres 30 or 32c, would any of this width allow me to do some gravel roads or I should be looking at 35c for that.

Thanks again for your feedback
  • I am not sure what you mean by the bigger "plates"? If you mean the 50 toothed chainring as opposed to the 48 ring on the Giant then I agree you would have the potential to pedal at a higher speed.

Both tyres will be fine for gravel roads.

This may be only my opinion but I would choose the Giant because of the kit but I think the Scott looks nicer because I like black and red. Maybe the Giant with some red tyres would be the best of both worlds.... :)
  • Hi night_porter,

So you think 30mm is enough for gravel roads? I'm going to test ride both this week and see which one feels better. Right now I'm leaning in favour of the Scott Metrix 'cause it seems a faster bike, but I'm worried if the frame/components would be so tough as the Giant Escape. I mean the geometry of the Metrix is more road-like bike (even tough it doesn't seems at all like a road bike) while the Escape is more like a urban-commuter type geometry. There is also the frame issue, the Escape is double-butted while the Metrix is single butted but hydroformed which makes for a more lightweight frame.

Thanks for your advice.
  • I think you are worrying because you are believing the marketing hype too much.

I ride gravel roads on my road bike with 25mm tyres and have no problem. Bikes are much stronger than you think.

The speed of both bikes is determined by the engine and that is you, trust me that the only time the gearing will make a difference is going down a very very steep hill and even then only if you are brave enough to keep the power on. I rarely use the top speed on any of my bikes because I do not have great descents near to my home.

Just test ride them with an open mind and choose the one you like the best then go out and enjoy your cycling. They really are both eminently suitable for what you want them for.

NP
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I hit 40mph regularly on my commuter with a 46T front ring (downhill), not sure I am really that bothered about going faster, but I know from a steeper descent I can hit 45.....how fast did you want to go (downhill).....about 30mph is the very very most you'll maintain on the flat, probably nearer 25mph.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.