Using Panniers

feisty
feisty Posts: 161
edited January 2014 in Commuting general
Hi

My wife got me some panniers for Christmas (Ortileb backroller plus). I had been using a rack bag for commuting and it was a tad too small and starting to bow at the sides. However, the panniers are really big inside and - although there is a pocket for my wallet and phone etc - I'm slightly concerned that if I put keys, pump, multi tool, lock etc in the bottom of the pannier (or even tins of beans etc when shopping) then it will cause holes in the fabric?

Everyone says these panniers are tough but do I need to take precautions when using them? E.g. do i need to buy padded bags to insert inside the panniers for keys, pump, multi tool etc? And more padded liners for shopping?

The lining does not seem that strong but maybe it is stronger than it looks?

Comments

• TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Mine have had all sorts in them - if keys were to be pressed on at an awkward angle, then yes, I guess you could puncture them, but to be honest, I always kept my keys in my pocket to avoid having to dig around in the bottom of a deep dark pannier for them!

Shopping, clothing etc were all handled with no extra bags necessary.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • feisty
    feisty Posts: 161
    Thanks

I have A LOT of keys on my key ring. But can always put my keys in the inside pocket. It's more the weight I wondering about (e.g. tins when shopping, locks etc) But if you say it handles all that fine, I'll stop worrying

Cheers
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    The pannier should be OK. It's pretty tough.

I have to admit I sacked off using my Ortliebs for commuting - just not as convenient as a backpack.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    I have to say, my panniers (Altura) have been incredibly hard wearing....over 3 years of daily use and they're still spiffing...watertight, not a rip...and I have not been particularly gentle with them.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I converted to panniers early in 2013. The 1st set were Altura and after a matter of months, they split across the top, where the hard back board which the clips etc fix to the rack with. With all my gubbins in them, the bag pulled against the back board and split the fabric across the top - the board simply poked right through at the corners. I bought a pair of Vaude to replace them (similar to Ortlieb) and so far they have been fine...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Another pannier user here. I have a variety of different ones including backroller-style single compartment ones which I tend to use for tours, to smaller capacity Altura with external pockets which I tend to use for commuting. Either way I have developed a system of putting stuff into other bags or containers rather than put just put loose things into the pannier. The main reason I do this is to help me to check I have everything and find stuff again as I need it. Generally I have a dry-sack for change of clothing, jacket, gloves etc. I often use a second dry-sack or decent carrier bag if I'm likely to be carrying wet gear as well as dry or to carry toiletries. I have one bag for tools, spare tube etc. (stuff I don't expect to have to use but like to carry 'just in case') and a second bag for lights and equipment I expect to have to use. I actually use an old pencil case for valuables - phone, wallet, keys, cash etc. if not going in a pocket.

I've had more problems with clips breaking than with bags splitting. These days I tend to carry a couple of bungee straps which gives the option of carrying additional luggage or carrying the dry-sacks outside of the pannier if necessary.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem