BR-R505 Disc Brake Caliper Servicing

monkimark
monkimark Posts: 1,546
edited January 2014 in The workshop
I've recently picked up a second hand Focus Cross Disc bike for commuting and general manky weather duties. It's generally in pretty good nick but the front brake feels a bit sticky from being sat around unused for a few months.
I have a new set of cables to go on at the weekend and just about to pop to Evans to pick up some spare pads.

While I'm at it, I'd like to give them a general strip/clean/lube to make sure everything is running smoothly.

I've been online and got the Shimano tech docs for installing the callipers & changing pads but I can't find anything much about servicing. Does anyone know if the internals can be accessed to clean up the moving parts or is it just a case of taking out the pads, scrubbing with a toothbrush and putting it back together with the new pads?

I guess I could squirt a bit or GT85 into the body as long as I leave it plenty of time to dry out before installing the pads?

Anybody got these and able to offer any advice on stripping/servicing?

thanks

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I usually find that dousing the bearings with WD40 or some other degreaser, allowing it to evaporate then oiling the bearing works quite well.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}