Waterproof Shorts or Trousers

iwilldoit
iwilldoit Posts: 710
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi All.

New to MTB ing Been riding for around a month and have to be honest I'm not that keen on a wet bum while riding.

Which are best shorts or trousers, it will only be for winter riding, what's the better makes to keep you dry/not sweaty not so concerned about keeping warm as I'm usually working hard and from my motorbike enduro riding getting to warm knackers me out a lot quicker.

Or does anyone have any other tips/you wear for keeping dry?

Comments

• CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I wear Endura Fireflys with some thermals underneath. Keeps me warm and dry without being sweaty. Baggy enough not to look like dork too ;)

Keep in mind no engine to keep you warm on the mtb.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    A rear mudguard is cheap, won't be quite as good, but you save >£50 and still have shorts that you can wear in the summer without boiling.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • I hate the soiled nappy feeling.

I just buy cheep waterproof trousers and wear them over my mtb shorts. Just cut them at the knee. Dont last a great length of time and dont look that cool but do a great job.

But with anything waterproof they dont breath well. You may end up with a sweaty butt instead.
  • iwilldoit
    Thank you for the replies.

It's quite surprising how so many ads say waterproof and when you read full description how they are water resistant.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Some (Endura MT500 Spray) for example have only the rear panel waterproof - so your ass is kept dry from rear wheel spray, but you don't overheat.
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    A riding buddy has these and swears by them, but the price is eyewatering. I like the idea of cut-down inexpensive overtrousers myself.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Skin is waterproof.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    For cheaper (not cheap) Goretex overtrousers to cut down, look at Army surplus stores. About 20 quid I seem to remember. You are probably better going for Altura waterproof shorts though. I considered them recently but at 50 quid, it just seems too much. I'll stick to my Lusso Max Repel tights - you could wear baggies over them if you are shy, I don't.... They are not waterproof but are really warm. Anyway, I get a mudguard first, if you don't have one already.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    cooldad wrote:
    Skin is waterproof.

Do you ride naked often?
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    CitizenLee wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Skin is waterproof.

Do you ride naked often?

Always. Gotta keep the fans happy.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • iwilldoit
    Hi All

Thanks for all the replies, I have to admit I have been looking at cutting down a pair of waterproof trousers, I would ride in the trousers but I would think they would be really warm/sweaty.
  • chrisrobs
    chrisrobs Posts: 135
    I have been using these for about 4 months and find they are really good.

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDeta ... tAodci4Aeg
  • mali01
    mali01 Posts: 81
    I have the Altura Attack shorts. simply do their job. I would get the 3/4 ones if you dont wear knee pads though. I wear padded undershorts with mine and im comfy and dry all day.
  • iwilldoit
    mali01 wrote:
    I have the Altura Attack shorts. simply do their job. I would get the 3/4 ones if you dont wear knee pads though. I wear padded undershorts with mine and im comfy and dry all day.

Hi
    Do 3/4 short interfere with knee pads, I have bought some 661 knee pads but haven't used them yet something else for me to think of :D
  • wmorgs
    wmorgs Posts: 113
    I wear these with padded shorts underneath:
    http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/geo-softshe ... rs-p159885
    Not waterproof but never had sweaty or wet rolloxs :D
  • Kowalski675
    iwilldoit wrote:
    mali01 wrote:

Hi
    Do 3/4 short interfere with knee pads, I have bought some 661 knee pads but haven't used them yet something else for me to think of :D

My Humvees do. They aren't wide enough at the bottom to work with my kneepads (Nukeproof Criticals) - they'll go over the pads, but snag on them, and the shorts ride up, so I use my shorter Avenir Trail shorts with the pads.
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    A rear mudguard would be a cheaper option, something like Mucky Nutz Butt Fender - whilst far from pretty, its reasonably priced and would do the job.

Failing that, just cut up waterproof trousers as suggested, can get them for next to nothing!
  • Kowalski675
    Cookeh wrote:
    A rear mudguard would be a cheaper option, something like Mucky Nutz Butt Fender - whilst far from pretty, its reasonably priced and would do the job.

Their new origami rear mudguard's good too, and cheap.
  • iwilldoit
    edited January 2014
    Hi All.

Liked the idea of cutting down some waterproof trousers, so bought some army gore tex trousers for £8 off EBay and what do you think, quite pleased with the results.

P080114_2046_zps2a2033de.jpg
  • mali01
    mali01 Posts: 81
    sexy!
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    Non-too-shabby at all! Certainly beats my boring blue ones with ragged edges! :D
  • my eyes!!!!!!!!!! their burning!!!!!!!! please someone help me remove this image from my mind :lol:

only popped on this thread as I got a seriously wet arse today and wondered what the solution was now I'm in need of therapy :P on a serious note though I'm off to buy some cheap waterproofs to butcher but don't panic I won't add pics :wink:
  • Kowalski675
    Why do they need waterproof trousers in desert camo? It doesn't rain in the desert... :lol:
  • iwilldoit
    Why do they need waterproof trousers in desert camo? It doesn't rain in the desert... :lol:

Must admit I wondered about desert waterproofs, think it will look better than the green sort when out on your bike.
  • passout
    They look all alright to me. How do they perform?
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • iwilldoit
    passout wrote:
    They look all alright to me. How do they perform?

Hopefully let you know after the weekend, if it's any thing like the jacket I use on my motor/endure bike they should be very good the jacket is brilliant, keeps you really dry not hot in hot weather and still keeps you warm in cold weather, so fingers crossed.
  • iwilldoit
    Hi Passout.

I just thought I will put my jobs on the back burner for a hour a try the shorts out around a little loop I have to try the shorts out, no rain but loads of water on the tracks, first impressions they work very well, as they are brand new Gore Tex the material is a little noisy, but very comfy, the one thing I might alter is they have a elastic cord at the top with a loop lock sort of thing on the cord, it might slip a little so might change that, or make some belt loops out of the chopped of legs and put a belt on them.

Knee guards fit OK as well so all's good with MK1 shorts :)
  • passout
    Sounds good. Only thing is I am rubbish with needle & thread! Mum....
  • iwilldoit
    passout wrote:
    Sounds good. Only thing is I am rubbish with needle & thread! Mum....

LOL me to, good job I have a friend who fixes sewing machines for a living, he did ask what did I mean these ones are MK1's :shock:
  • iwilldoit
    Hi All

Just a quick update for anyone who is interested, my Mk1 waterproof shorts are brill, really pleased with them, mind as I'm new to MTBing not a lot to compare them to , but I'm well pleased :D