A little advice on Bike choice please

NC74
NC74 Posts: 3
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys

I am looking to pick up a new bike in the next couple of weeks - something to suit XC/Fire Road type riding which is mainly what I do, but with the capability for a bit more rough stuff as and when I get the chance. It is unlikely I will be doing any downhill of note, so happy with a shortish travel bike. Currently on a Voodoo Hardtail which is nice enough for a budget bike but I want something with a bit more to it, lighter, FS and a 29er.

I have a short list of sorts.
Scott Spark 940 - I really like the look and feel of this, but cannot seem to find any reviews anywhere? I would just like some opinions from anyone who has owned one really. I am aware that the 2012 models had a bit of an issue with the shock, but apparently from 2013 model this was sorted.

Cube AMS - these seem really good value for the money to me - is there a drawback with them? Not the lightest bike but not too heavy either. I must admit perhaps to being blinded by the looks, as I think these look great, and keep telling myself not to buy on the looks.

Specialized - I have had a go on a Camber, and an Epic Comp (too pricey and too much bike for what I need I think), but would like to find someone with a Camber Comp in stock to have a look and ride of that.

I have already discounted Trek Superfly 100 and Rumblefish - nice bikes but they just didnt feel right for me (about 6ft but with short legs). Any other suggestions would be gratefully received.

I have looked at Canyon and they seem cracking bikes but am put off by the direct sales, I dont know anyone who has one to have a try on first off, and dont really want all the hassle of returning it if it just doesnt feel right.

Budget is around £1500-£1700, so I am looking at 2013 models on the above in the sales. I am aware I could probably get a carbon version for another £300-£500 but to save about 3lb in weight is it really worth it?

Any thoughts/tips?

Comments

• http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/full-suspension/product/review-scott-spark-930-13-47011/

Heres a review of the scott 930 - the next bike up in the range - granted the kit is different but it is otherwise the same bike - good write up, just a couple of niggles with it...

The cubes are good bikes. Good value and sound machines. As far as I'm aware their reliability is no worse or better than the other big brands out there. The AMS makes for a good alrounder but its a heavish bike.

Your quite right in your assessment of Specialized's value for money - its v.pricey for the kit you get. Excellent frames though.

Canyon are becoming a big thing. Unbeatable kit on their bikes due to direct sales. Usually means their bikes are kitted out to the equivalent of twice the price of their competitors. This usually makes them lighter and fairly nimble bikes plus the reliability of better kit. You also get very desirable stuff like dropper posts appearing at much lower prices. They have an excellent sizing system on their website which should help you choose and I guess the couriering can be a pain if there's a problem - the cost will still be cheaper than a rival bike brand at the expense of time and some convenience. On the whole the bikes get great reviews.

Kona bikes are coming back on form too and they have a range of 29er bikes - might be worth a read/look.
    The Giant anthem and trance 29ers are both excellent too.

Enjoy the shopping :)
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,660
    Tom Barton wrote:
    Canyon are becoming a big thing. Unbeatable kit on their bikes due to direct sales. Usually means their bikes are kitted out to the equivalent of twice the price of their competitors. This usually makes them lighter and fairly nimble bikes plus the reliability of better kit. You also get very desirable stuff like dropper posts appearing at much lower prices. They have an excellent sizing system on their website which should help you choose and I guess the couriering can be a pain if there's a problem - the cost will still be cheaper than a rival bike brand at the expense of time and some convenience. On the whole the bikes get great reviews.
    Have a look in the Canyon thread in 'MTB General'. Don't own one myself but judging by the feedback a very good option as long as you take the time to check the sizing (not difficult).

Also take a look at the other German direct sellers - YT Industries and Rose. Both (esp YT) offer cracking value for money and have had some good reviews recently. Rose also does one of these 'spec it yourself' online options for a lot of their models.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    I'd take a look Pauls Cycles and see what they've got in the 2013 Giant Anthems. I had one and it was a very quick way of getting around the place. It was unbelievable at going up hills.

A good example: http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b4s154p5299/GIANT-ANTHEM-X-29ER-2-2013

It'd leave you a little bit of money left in the budget to upgrade the brakes. The X3 is also a good ride, but it's got the Fox CTD Evo suspension, which has got some reliability issues.

Value for money, the direct-sale German stuff is very hard to beat and the reviews and mostly glowing, but as I was unable to test them I had to count them out.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    YT industries sadly doesn't make short travel bikes though...
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,660
    Cqc wrote:
    YT industries sadly doesn't make short travel bikes though...
    Scratch YT for this thread - though well worth a look if you want 150mm+
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • NC74
    NC74 Posts: 3
    Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. Since posting I have seen on another forum that Canyon have a place in London where they can allow you to come down and try one for size, so I may give that a go as I think the bikes are spot on, but I could never spend that kind of money unseen and totally untried.
    I think I will pursue that option first, and if no good the Scott is my second choice as I know from trying it it fits nicely and I like the idea of the twinloc system. It seems you can get a review on the net for pretty much any bike in the world, except a Spark 940!
    Cheers Guys.