Specialized Roubaix

Giraffoto
Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
I'm thinking of getting one in the next few months - the SL4 Sport Compact variety - for my road riding. Has anyone else bought one, are they brilliant or not, and does anyone know if there is clearance for a 28mm tyre?
Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
XM-057 rigid 29er

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    They look like shit, I wouldnt buy one for that reason alone!
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    Giraffoto wrote:
    I'm thinking of getting one in the next few months - the SL4 Sport Compact variety - for my road riding. Has anyone else bought one, are they brilliant or not, and does anyone know if there is clearance for a 28mm tyre?

Got the 2012 model and love it, personally I'd go up to the Elite as it has more 105 than own brand stuff and better wheels.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Giraffoto wrote:

What's wrong with a Tarmac?
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    Forgot to say, looking at mine it looks like 28mm will fit, Spesh don't say if it will, but this random bike shop website I found on google reckons it's fine.

http://pscyclery.com/about/top-10-reaso ... -pg396.htm
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I had a Spesh Roubaix Elite until last year. 28mm tyres should fit fine, although I found 25mm tyres with the geometry and design tweaks to the seat stays and forks provided sufficient comfort over rubbish road surfaces. Liked mine.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Thanks for all your answers, I'll start saving up my pennies! Good find with Palm Springs Cyclery.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    At the very least, I would suggest, if at all possible, you speak with your Spesh dealer and arrange to borrow a Roubaix and a Tarmac for separate rides. Reason being that the perceived more comfortable riding position afforded by the Roubaix may not be as comfortable (ie good fit) for you as the Tarmac. It won't cost you anything and well worth a try - you may be surprised or at least more confident about your selection.

Peter
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    northpole wrote:
    At the very least, I would suggest, if at all possible, you speak with your Spesh dealer and arrange to borrow a Roubaix and a Tarmac for separate rides. Reason being that the perceived more comfortable riding position afforded by the Roubaix may not be as comfortable (ie good fit) for you as the Tarmac. It won't cost you anything and well worth a try - you may be surprised or at least more confident about your selection.

Peter

That's a good point. I ended up changing my Roubaix for a Scott CR1 as I found the Roubaix a little too soft, and wanted a more direct ride (first bike was a Boardman Road Team which was very direct and I think I missed that but the geometry wasn't quite right for me). The geometry of my Scott kind of sits between the Boardman and the Roubaix. I do wonder if I'd have gone down the Tarmac route whether I'd have changed....

Try both and see which you prefer.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Don't think my tarmac won't take 28mm tyres ... I think I'd just get away with 25mm ...
  • I've got a Roubaix Comp 2012 and while I run (in winter) 25 mm tyres (Michelin PRO4 SC's), the rims are 23mm Archetypes, so the tyre balloons up more like a 28mm, and its absolutely fine...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Giraffoto wrote:

Why do you feel you need such a 'relaxed' road bike?

I am not a fan but if you need one and like the looks/brand then go for it.