Basic training

Minty123
Minty123 Posts: 2
edited January 2014 in Road beginners
Hi there.
So this year I have decided to take up road riding! I'm very new to this and was hoping to get some help from some people on here. I'm trying to work out a basic training and diet program! Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Chris

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I would move this to the Training and Fitness section you will probably get more replies and more information about yourself,your goals and bike would help. :)
  • Ride as much as you can. Eat sensibly.

Ride harder. Ride more. Rest. Repeat.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    It depends on your current fitness. Are you an athlete converting to cycling or a civilian converting from the sofa?
    If the later, just ride easily for a few weeks, measuring time rather than distance or speed. Start at 10 mins then increase every day up to about 40 mins. This is the min duration for a fitness ride and the start point for any training "regime"
  • 1. Take bike in hands
    2. Swing leg over bike
    3. Pedal
  • Ride more, ride fast, eat less. Enjoy
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yep - I'd not overthink it. Eat sensibly and ride as often as you can and aim to increase your distances.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Just take it easy to begin with and learn how the bike feels. Then you can start going for longer rides on more hilly terrain. It will take a while to get into and properly learn which gears to use when, how fast to corner and when to put the power down etc. but just keep riding and it will come.

I found Strava really handy as it showed how fast people can go over different parts of their ride. It is easier to go up or down hill faster if you know some else has already done it much faster than you.

The other big thing is to make sure you rest enough. I go out four times a week and do two rides of about an hour and another two of a few hours and the rest of the time just walk the dog. If you start getting injuries just rest up a bit and try again. Sometimes you are unlucky other times it will be something on your bikes setup that needs adjusting.

Just get out there and have fun :)
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    Kajjal wrote:

BUT try not to upset other cyclists by waving or not, nodding or not, speaking or not, going too fast or too slow, overtaking, drafting without seeking permission, wearing expensive kit, wearing inexpensive kit and a thousand other things that may or may not upset some of the weirdos on here. :D
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Try and find a group to ride with - many local clubs will have beginner groups. You'll learn far more rapidly riding with others.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    fatsmoker wrote:
    Kajjal wrote:

BUT try not to upset other cyclists by waving or not, nodding or not, speaking or not, going too fast or too slow, overtaking, drafting without seeking permission, wearing expensive kit, wearing inexpensive kit and a thousand other things that may or may not upset some of the weirdos on here. :D

Ignoring people and having expensive kit makes you go faster :wink:

At least that's what some of the miserable pack riders by me think, most riders are very friendly and will check you are OK if you are stopped looking at your bike.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    Minty123 wrote:
    Hi there.
    So this year I have decided to take up road riding! I'm very new to this and was hoping to get some help from some people on here. I'm trying to work out a basic training and diet program! Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Chris

I tend to think that it''s best not to be too structured - just try to get out on the bike as much as you can.

Some questions:

1) Where are you?
    2) Do you have a bike?
    3) Do you have any other kit?
    4) What's your base level of fitness?
    Insert bike here:
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    good on you

diet - just eat a norml healthy diet; 5 a day, less takeaway and junk food etc

riding - try and get a regular slot in the calendar that you go out on the bike - look to increase the time spent riding not the speed to increase the miles. do your rides at a sensible pace
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • MichaelW wrote:
    It depends on your current fitness. Are you an athlete converting to cycling or a civilian converting from the sofa?
    If the later, just ride easily for a few weeks, measuring time rather than distance or speed. Start at 10 mins then increase every day up to about 40 mins. This is the min duration for a fitness ride and the start point for any training "regime"
    Although I agree that you don't want to overdo it surely starting with 10 minutes is being a bit cautious even if you aren't very fit. You would spend more time getting ready than on the bike. Also you need to spend more time in the saddle to get your backside toughened up! The beauty of cycling compared with running is that you can have a rest and still keep moving.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Join a club and maybe enter an event or 3.

Time trials are a good indication of improvement and can be fun and addictive.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Remember: more riding = more cake :D

That's what keeps me going!

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • It really all depends on your current level of fitness. I took up cycling again after a 35 year break (yes, I'm that old!), and found that for where I live (surrounded by hills) ten minutes was really all I could cope with. It was really a shock to the system as I didn't realise how unfit I was, but it's amazing how fast you will find yourself improving.

The key thing is to get on the bike, even if it's little and often, and make sure that you have fun. This will be better than trying to pack long rides in initially once a week and will be more enjoyable.

Make sure you give yourself some goals, even if it's adding five minutes to your ride length each week. Of course, this all depends on how fit/unfit you are!