Commuter for girlfriend

Mark909
Mark909 Posts: 456
edited January 2014 in Commuting general
Hello,

I'm looking for a decent commuter around £300 for my girlfriend.

Anything decent I've seen below this price seems to be 8 speed only.

Is there anything out there for this price with a wider range of gears?

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I'm a decent commuter, post up a pick of your girlfriend so i can assess whether the £300 is good :D value or not.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    BTW nothing wrong with 8 speed for a commuter bike. it will have same or very similar range of gears to 10 speed just with an extra gap or two between the gears. 8 speed is also harder wearing / longer lasting as the chain is slightly thicker.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    t4tomo wrote:
    BTW nothing wrong with 8 speed for a commuter bike. it will have same or very similar range of gears to 10 speed just with an extra gap or two between the gears. 8 speed is also harder wearing / longer lasting as the chain is slightly thicker.

+1, and some £300 pound female specific bikes from halfords are pretty good.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Number of gears required depends on the terrain. I use 8spd (hub gear) on gently rolling terrain and it is fine.
    What is the distance/terrain of your GF commute.
    Carrera Subway is probably the goto cheap commuting bike. The lack of suspension means it is lighter and more reliable and the components are all good-enough. You need to budget for mudguards (full-length bolt-on), lights, lock, luggage, helmet, repair kit.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I wouldnt get too hung up on getting a female specific bike, they are usualy exactly the same geometry as mens but different colours and often more expensive for the same spec.

i'd get her to try a few and see which one she likes and is most comfortable on. Around that price you could try decathlon or halfords but if i were you i'd search for second hand bikes, you'll get much more bike for your money.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Mark909
    t4tomo wrote:
    I'm a decent commuter, post up a pick of your girlfriend so i can assess whether the £300 is good :D value or not.

Fuck off nobhead.
  • Mark909
    Thanks for all the other answers guys.

Actually im looking for something with more than 8 gears as there's a decent range of hills to climb up and bomb down.

I also want to do some cycling with her in the yorkshire dales. Seeming as the the tdf is going past my street I think she'll be up for doing part of the route.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Mark909 wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:

fark off nobhead.
    Grow up, this gets put up ever time we get a similar thread title (so you started it) you're the first to have a sense of humour failure....

You're missing the point on 8 v 9, most will have 11-32 cassettes so all the 9 does is push the gears closer together.

For £380 the fit5 from Decathlon is a really really much better bike than anything at £300, carbon forks included.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Chris Bass wrote:
    I wouldnt get too hung up on getting a female specific bike, they are usualy exactly the same geometry as mens but different colours and often more expensive for the same spec.

i'd get her to try a few and see which one she likes and is most comfortable on. Around that price you could try decathlon or halfords but if i were you i'd search for second hand bikes, you'll get much more bike for your money.

halford carrera women specific model same price,thinner tubing, narrower bars and same spec. Just been doing the same exercise with the Mrs.
  • I would avoid a step through type frame if the bike is used in all weathers. Because the rear brake cable has to run down the sloping 'top' tube and then back up to the brake, there tends to be a bend at the low point in the cable which traps water when very wet and which freezes in sub zero temperatures. I speak from experience of having to choose between cycling with the back brake either jammed on or disconnected :shock: