We need to have a chat about PTP

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 18,955
edited January 2014 in Pro race
Morning All

So it's not long until the new season starts and with it the 2014 incarnation of PTP.

Now, as I was the last one to look after it, it sort of falls to me to kick it off in the new year, however I really don't have the time to do it.

So....would anyone else like to step up?

If there are no volunteers I'll do it as I wouldn't like to see it die, however I do reserve the right to adjust the calendar of PTP races to suit me.
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,705
    I think what is needed is a squad - a bunch of domestiques who can do a few races each that will suit their calendars and a grandmaster / teamleader (nice Mr afx are you still around?) who will tot up the overall scores and coordinate the domestiques. I'm happy to be a domestique.

Separately, I think a monument should score more than other one day races.
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Agree with Big Bean that a few of us should share the load.

I did the Tour de Suisse last year so know what is required and I am happy to part of the team that covers throughout the Year. To be honest not been on here as much recently due to how some of the threads have become derailed so will give me motivation to use the forum again.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    I'll happily carry bottles for a week of one dayers, or a week long stage race. A GT is beyond me at the moment.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • I can do a spot of Marc Madiot style shouting from the team car if and when necessary.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • I think that's a splendid idea, as mr_poll says it gives me a motivation to come onto the board so I'm happy to see it live on.

Don't know s**t about how to make it work, so all I can contribute is taking part, but I really do appreciate all the effort it takes to run it
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,840
    Agreed that a team of us should do it. It's a lot for one person to do, I still don't understand how Mr Afx did it for so long on his own. It was bad enough me doing it for 6 months.

Happy to be domestique or GC leader.

I think the GC person should look after the overall scores and co-ordinate the domestiques to know what races they can do. No point getting someone to do a race if they're away on holiday. Then have a team of say 6-8 people who take it in turns to do races. The GC person would make it fair so everyone did there fair share. So it wouldn't end up with one person doing 2 GT's while another person did a couple of one dayers.

I'm just thinking out loud here so feel free to slate/praise my ideas and contribute your own.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • mr_poll
    Shaping up nicely then -

TWH or Rozzer if one of you wants to step up to run the show as our protected GC leader.

Then we have a good number who can put themselves into the red riding in support. Not sure if we should use this thread as our race radio to discuss who does what or if we should PM email addresses etc.

For what it is worth my race schedule, if I am picked, happy to do the Giro as it is the one GT I will be really interested in so should have some form. For the classics I will be riding in Majorca at the end of March/start of April so out of action then, apart from that happy to do my bit.
  • rozzer32
    Happy to do the GC leader role, but as TWH is the current PTP worker I'll give him first choice.

So if people want to come forward to help out then please do, so far we have:

TailWindHome
    TheBigBean
    Macaloon
    mr_poll
    rozzer32

so there is 5. Maybe another 3-5 more??
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,847
    I would offer but it's so hit & miss when I have time - difficult for me to put my hand up for one particular race.

Apologies.
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    Any chance of a thread explaining what PTP is all about and how it works? I've seen mention of it but don't understand it.
  • rick_chasey
    Lucan2 wrote:
    Any chance of a thread explaining what PTP is all about and how it works? I've seen mention of it but don't understand it.

PTP is simply a game whereby for every race (of those selected) you pick the winner before it begins.

If you pick comes in the winner you get the full allocation of points, if he comes second, a bit less etc.

For stage races you pick the overall GC winner before the race starts and the winner for each individual stage.

At the end of the season you tot up who has the most points.

See: viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12905769
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,166
    Repeated information
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Count me in...I scored the TdS once so can bring a wealth of experience to the team!
    Half man, Half bike
  • tailwindhome
    Rather than over complicate the thing I'm happy to set up the calendar and run it until the end of the Giro if other people want to step in then. My job is in hospitality* so the summer tends to be mental and keeping up with the Tour and Vuelta was a struggle.

There is also case for either stopping after the Tour or culling the field. Obviously August is a big month for holidays and people seem to lose interest. That in itself makes it hard to keep track off and many players miss stages.

* in a hotel on the route of Stage 2 of the Giro. PM for reservations :wink:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Obviously August is a big month for holidays and people seem to lose interest.
    Tinker with the Eneco Tour and ToP at your peril...we are talking Summer Monuments!
    Half man, Half bike
  • tailwindhome
    Ridgerider wrote:
    Obviously August is a big month for holidays and people seem to lose interest.
    Tinker with the Eneco Tour and ToP at your peril...we are talking Summer Monuments!

Was going to add in ToB for the craic!
  • I said I'd pitch in too. Early April is out for me. June and July are possibilities as it will be a welcome relief from dissertation supervision.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • rozzer32
    TWH I'm happy to run it through the whole season. I disagree about stopping after the Tour, still some good races later in the season.
  • rick_chasey
    Eneco tour is a PTP staple. Sorts the men from the boys.
  • rozzer32
    OK so now we have:

TailWindHome
    TheBigBean
    Macaloon
    mr_poll
    rozzer32
    Above The Cows
    Ridgerider

Looking for 2 more people, come on people. I have score templates so all you have to do is fill in a spreadsheet.
  • rozzer32 wrote:
    OK so now we have:

TailWindHome
    TheBigBean
    Macaloon
    mr_poll
    rozzer32
    Above The Cows
    Ridgerider

Looking for 2 more people, come on people. I have score templates so all you have to do is fill in a spreadsheet.

Ok, me
  • tailwindhome
    Looks like my work here is done. Rozzer you da man.

Let me know what races you want me to score.

Eneco tour is a PTP staple. Sorts the men from the boys.

I got the impression it was sorting the men from the bored. :)
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I can do a few too, but will need to play a few races to see how it works first.
  • rozzer32
    OK looks like the squad is set:

TailWindHome
    TheBigBean
    Macaloon
    mr_poll
    rozzer32
    Above The Cows
    Ridgerider
    Richmond Racer
    Joelsim

Thanks for stepping in and helping PTP continue.

I'll start a new thread called "PTP-Admin" over the weekend and hopefully Rick can sticky it. We will then use that to discuss what races we can do etc.

I'll also sort the calender out and start the "PTP-2014" main thread in the next few weeks.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    rozzer32 wrote:

TailWindHome
    TheBigBean
    Macaloon
    mr_poll
    rozzer32
    Above The Cows
    Ridgerider
    Richmond Racer
    Joelsim

I'll start a new thread called "PTP-Admin" over the weekend and hopefully Rick can sticky it. We will then use that to discuss what races we can do etc.

I'll also sort the calender out and start the "PTP-2014" main thread in the next few weeks.

Down Under?
  • tailwindhome
    Joelsim wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:

TailWindHome
    TheBigBean
    Macaloon
    mr_poll
    rozzer32
    Above The Cows
    Ridgerider
    Richmond Racer
    Joelsim

Down Under?

Normally PTP starts with Omloop/KBK.

Rozzers setting the game up so it's his call.

Handy calendar here

http://www1.skysports.com/cycling/news/ ... g-calendar
  • rick_chasey
    Any changes to the previous calendar? TBH I find that debate as interesting as PTP ;).
  • rozzer32
    I might make some changes. Will have to have a look at this years calendar and see what races are when. But it will probably be similar with a few changes here and there. Can now have some of the bigger races as it doesn't matter if races overlap now we have a group of us.
  • mr_poll
    Rozzer you may have seen this but if not it is a really handy schedule for races.

http://inrng.com/2014/01/2014-calendar/
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,011
    Kept my head down while you were looking for volunteers, but will register my appreciation of the efforts of you all.

Looking forward to the new season and aiming for a top 50 place.