which parts or better?

kenlawrence
kenlawrence Posts: 17
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hello all, I've recently got into mountain biking and have bought three bikes second hand lately and im just wondering which of the parts are the best as Im going to merge them together to make the best possible set up I can.

The three frames are...

Marin quake 5.0. 2000 ish
Gt avalanche 2.0. 2006
Kona shred 2007

The three fork are...

Rockshox Tora 302 so
Rockshox duke xc u-turn
Marzokki dirt jam Comp

I guess it will depend on what sort of riding I'm doing really but having not long been into riding im not sure what that will be really, I will be using the Bike for transport quite a lot but also I do want to get into the more extreme side of cycling so I want my bike to be as strong as possible and perform well,

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    It also depends on what condition they are in.

If all were brand new then the duke is the best. But also not a still as the others.

The Marz was a poor entry level fork with a dirt jump image.

The Tora is loved by many but......
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • *Rockshox Tora 302 SL
  • Ok cool, thanks for the reply! The two rockshox fork are in similar condition, well used but still in good working order, the marzokkis look like they're brand new. So have you any idea what the real difference is between the two rockshox forks? And as for the frames, the kona is like New, the gt still in very good condition and the marins had a quite a lot of use over the years,
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Of the frame, I'd go with the GT, the Shred is (as I understand it) a bit heavy, but you could try weighing them, are all a good fit?

Of the Forks, Tora's are a good solid forks, but heavy, if the Dukes are in good condition (mechanically not cosmetically!) I'd use the Dukes, otherwise the Tora's and sell the Mazza's, they are strong but heavy and not at all XC.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.