10/11/ speed wheels

Gazspurs
Gazspurs Posts: 122
edited January 2014 in Road general
I took delivery of my new bike on Tuesday, I was building it yesterday & have a (probably rather silly) questions if any of you could kindly help me?...... I’m not the best when it comes to bike maintenance!

I am looking to use my set of American Classic Aero 4 wheels on the new bike. My old bike was a Felt AR5 105 groupset – 10 speed & the Cervelo is now Ultegra and 11 speed, looking on the web it would appear I can buy a new hub to accommodate putting these wheels on, could anyone please advise what one I need?

Many Thanks for all your help.

Comments

• You can put 10 speed onto 11 speed wheels. You cannot put 11 speed onto 10 speed wheels.
  • It depends whether your AC are already 11 speed compatible (you will then have 2 spacers before the cassette, a wider one and a narrow 1 mm one) and if they are not whether it is possible to fit an 11 speed freehub.
    Normally it is not possible, but AC might be the exception.
    left the forum March 2023
  • Gazspurs
    Gazspurs Posts: 122
    Thanks guys, it would appear that my AC wheels are 11 speed compatible, I have ordered a Shimano 11 speed freehub that I believe can be swapped, over. will take to my LBS to do though.

Thanks