Quick and easy. Choose an MTB for me.

littledove44
littledove44 Posts: 871
edited January 2014 in MTB buying advice
I am sure all you chaps in scruffy clothes are really bored with roadies asking your advice, but it's only because we are jealous of your outfits. :D

So, please indulge me.

56 year old roadie wants an MTB to keep his menopausal mates company whilst they mud-plug around at weekends.
I ride Specialized on the road so would like to go with that if possible so I can pretend to my local Specialized store that I am a special customer.

What should I buy?

Hard to persuade myself to spend more on the part time toy than the main beast that cost about £2k.

But I could be persuaded.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Do you actually want a mountain bike or will you be one of those annoying roadies who just comes along for the ride and has to push through the fun sections because you don't want to learn to ride?
    If so then stick to your skinny tyres, riding that requires no technical ability and cross dressing, team sky replica kit.
    If not then take a look at the Specialized Camber if you want to stick with Specialized, good frame.
  • Do you actually want a mountain bike or will you be one of those annoying roadies who just comes along for the ride and has to push through the fun sections because you don't want to learn to ride?
    If so then stick to your skinny tyres, riding that requires no technical ability and cross dressing, team sky replica kit.
    If not then take a look at the Specialized Camber if you want to stick with Specialized, good frame.

Fair answer.

I fully realize that there are a whole load of different skills involved in MTB riding. Looking at all the gopro footage scares the willies out of me.

I may not be ready for any serious stuff, but having acquired a little fitness for my age I am happy to take advice from anyone in the know.

In a former life I had some success at competitive aerobatic flying. I remember being annoyed by weekend Top Gun pilots who talked a good game, but couldn't fly an outside loop without pooping their pants. So, respect to those who can, but please help those who want to learn.

I shall check out the Camber.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Camber isn't great value... Specialized bikes become great (I have one) immediately above £2000 for full suspension- if you want value go for canyon
  • rockmonkeysc
    Road and off road fittness are quite different. Don't expect to be leaving mtb regulars for dead on every climb, it won't happen.
    The biggest difference between road and mountain biking is that mountain biking isn't mind numbingly dull.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Road and off road fittness are quite different. Don't expect to be leaving mtb regulars for dead on every climb, it won't happen.
    The biggest difference between road and mountain biking is that mountain biking isn't mind numbingly dull.

Unless your MTB mates train on the road aswell,then I'd say yes, you probably will leave them for dead on most climbs (providing they arent to technically challenging!)

I'd say get a 29er (unless you're a short arse), a hardtail will probably be fine for you, better bang for your buck.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    edited January 2014
    Lots of encouraging posts :)

First thing to work out is what budget you are looking at and what terrain you will be riding on.

If it is just fire roads, general forest trails and the like pretty much any proper mountain bike will be fine. Hard tails only have front suspension and you can also get full suspension bikes. If you have any injuries or general pains a full suspension bike would be easier but unless it is quite rough terrain a hard tail would be fine.

If it is only a part time bike you could look for a good condition second hand bike, that way it is easier to resell and get your money back plus if you are careful you get a lot more for your money. Do some test rides to see what you think.

I am over 40 and ride a specialized carve hard tail as well as a road bike which gives a good bit of variety.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380

The biggest difference is road biking really pushes you physically in terms of mental and physical endurance if you go for it. Mountain biking while keeping you very fit as well is a lot more about picking lines and fast bike handling skills. I have quite a stressful job and do both to wind down.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    56 year old roadie wants an MTB
    What's the Marin in your sig?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    Kajjal wrote:

The biggest difference is road biking really pushes you physically in terms of mental and physical endurance if you go for it. Mountain biking while keeping you very fit as well is a lot more about picking lines and fast bike handling skills. I have quite a stressful job and do both to wind down.

Mountain biking pushes you just as much physically if you want it to.
    I do both and the main difference is definitely the boredom and danger on roads.
  • cooldad wrote:
    56 year old roadie wants an MTB
    What's the Marin in your sig?

It's very old, no suspension front or back. Bought it second hand in 1997. Too small for me really, but I stripped and reassembled it over winter for fun. Runs perfectly well, but not ideal.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Mountain biking pushes you just as much physically if you want it to.
    I do both and the main difference is definitely the boredom and danger on roads.

Yes, you're offering such an impartial view, good job you're here :roll:

The average MTBer is of laughable fitness compared to your average road rider, but that wasn't the question.

OP - what kind of riding do your friends do? Stumpjumper hardtail, Epic, Stumpjumper FSR, Camber. All decent bikes, no point having a heavy trail bike if all your friends are on lightweight carbon hardtails.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Indeed, type of riding and critically budget, as has been noted the cheaper Specialized are horrid value and you'd be much better off elsewhere.

I have to agree with njee, most roadies leave us for dead in the fitness stakes, although offroad work (other than pure XC) requires bursts of much higher effort which is sort of trained out of most roadies as they optimise for a full days ride (hence why Wiggins lost s track of weight to go from track to road).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chances are it's going to be forest trails, close clipped grassland (I live next to the sea and the National Trust have some nice places to ride), muddy cycle tracks and of course the roads in between all of that.

Not yet thinking of big downhill stuff. Happy to buy another bike for that later on if it happens.

I am thinking lighter is better, and for arguments sake lets say < £1500.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For that use something like the Rockrider 8.1 from Decathlon would fit the bill, and just £550, weight isn't much of an issue from your description.

You may want to consider a 29er though.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    edited January 2014
    Buy a Whyte 905 (old model) from Winstanleys bikes - 1k - British company - rides brilliantly - 24lbs. All the bike you'll need. See: http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _2012_Bike
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • I'd buy my 1 yr...

DELETED. We have classifieds for adverts, please read the rules.

ADMIN.
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    passout wrote:
    Buy a Whyte 905 (old model) from Winstanleys bikes - 1k - British company - rides brilliantly - 24lbs. All the bike you'll need. See: http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _2012_Bike

Good shout. Light, so good for XC, but with geometry and fork capable of much rougher stuff too.

That or a Boardman for value.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Yes I'd agree on Boardman, very well specced for the £'s.
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    I got a 2012 Boardman HT Team off ebay - £475 (rrp. £850 when new - this was 20 miles old and not bedded in) and I am very impressed... It does everything i need it to without complaint. It does require some better tyres though if you are going to go through any kind of mud (as i have done in the last few days - very slidy up the hills as the tyres were so clogged up.)
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • Ulysses
    Ulysses Posts: 104
    Might be worth getting something cheaper to start with, you may well hate MTB after a few rides getting caked in mud... There's loads of good second hand bikes for £500 mark on fleabay. Or pop to Halfords and get a VooDoo, if you're starting out in MTB they are pretty good and your not over investing in a bike you could well end up selling at a loss.
  • Definitely have a look on EBay,I got a brand new in the box 2012 voodoo bokor for £375 Rep £675 so there bargains out there if you keep looking & if you decide you don't like MTB then you can sell the bike & get most of your money back
  • Voodoo Bizango, 29er and a decent spec for the £'s
    Framebuilder
    Handbuilt Steel 29er https://goo.gl/RYSbaa
    Carbon Stumpjumper https://goo.gl/xJNFcv
    Parkwood:http://goo.gl/Gf8xkL
    Ribble Gran Fondo https://goo.gl/ZpTFXz
    Triban:http://goo.gl/v63FBB