Dedicated Turbo Wheel - Different Cassette

Nobby Nic
Nobby Nic Posts: 119
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Hi I`m thinking of getting a dedicated wheel for the turbo trainer with trainer tyre and ideally a cassette for ease.
I`ve always been told that the drive train wears equally and the chain and cassette should be changed at the same time.

So would it be ok to swop wheels with different cassettes in and out on the same bike with same chain and chain-rings ?
What do others do :?

Comments

• I have a 12-28 cassette on my trainer wheel and a 12-30 on my road wheel. I have had no problems swapping them back and forth. I certainly think it's better to have a second cassette than to have to swap one cassette between two wheels.

As long as you keep an eye on the drive train and replace each part as it wears out I don't see a problem.
  • I just got a new set of wheels. My road bike has an 11-34 but my turbo only really needs about 12-25.

Cheap wheel, cheap tyre, cheap cassette on the turbo is my plan.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Nobby Nic wrote:
    Hi I`m thinking of getting a dedicated wheel for the turbo trainer with trainer tyre and ideally a cassette for ease.
    I`ve always been told that the drive train wears equally and the chain and cassette should be changed at the same time.

So would it be ok to swop wheels with different cassettes in and out on the same bike with same chain and chain-rings ?
    What do others do :?
    Unless your chain is worn, yes.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I just got a new set of wheels. My road bike has an 11-34 but my turbo only really needs about 12-25.

Cheap wheel, cheap tyre, cheap cassette on the turbo is my plan.
    ^^ This
  • Nobby Nic
    Nobby Nic Posts: 119
    Thanks for the replys, looks like I need a cheap wheel now then. :D