Hollowtech II bottom bracket ok for BB30 frame?

slap_my_bass_up
slap_my_bass_up Posts: 141
edited January 2014 in Workshop
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... ltd-44726/

I have this bike and would like to swap the BB30 FSA Gossamer for an Ultegra chainset. Does anyone know if the the frame would take the hollowtech?
Rose X-Lite CRS 3100
Focus Cayo AL

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,182
    yes, you'll need to use an adaptor
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Wheels Manufacturing adaptor or something like a Praxis Works convertor - the latter is the better engineered solution and you're less likely to suffer from the creaking that BB30s are reknown for.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    There are adaptor bottom brackets that do a direct conversion (Praxis etc.) which are the most elegant approach, but more expensive.

There are also converters that turn a BB30 bottom bracket shell into a threaded bottom bracket shell. I've just ordered a Tripeak one (for PF30, but the principle is the same) from On One for ~£21. My plan is to install this securely with loctite and then I'll be able to use standard BBs. If this proves problematic I'll probably try the Praxis or something.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    +1

there are quite a few manufacturers offering these now; search on aerozine, token, kcnc, fsa, etc.

I'd agree the bearing type models are a better idea than simple adaptors.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    I ve used the Wheels Manufacturing adaptors and they are completely trouble free, in a caad10 - cheap an easy to fit, easy to revert back when the frame was sold on.