slipping seat post - Solaris

Mr moofo
Mr moofo Posts: 10
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
On a recently built Solaris, I am using a 27.9 thomson seat post - but with a shim so it works.
However , even with the QR tighten up hard, it slips ...
Can this be solved by using carbon paste ( on a non carbon seat post to increase friction) - or is it new seat post time?
Ta

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What QR?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Hope QR
  • cooldad
    Get a decent QR and see if that sorts it out.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I'm assuming from that that Hope are not considered in that category?
  • cooldad
    IMO not the best but I would try a seatpost without a shim (if you have one) or a cheap bolt up clamp (Brand x from Chainreaction are decent for under a fiver) before lashing out any cash. You shouldn't need paste.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    But bolts clamps are a pain in the arse...
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    Hi

MTB ing is all new to me, but I had the same problem tried a few things and then I took the QR clamp off took it apart and cleaned and greased it and everything is now fine, because it was all dry the QR wouldn't clamp up properly.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Mr moofo wrote:
    I am using a 27.9 thomson seat post - but with a shim so it works.

Stupid question, I know, but have you double-checked you got the right shim for your post/tube combo? Both internal and external dimensions are critical.
  • The shim is defn correct. I know with Thomson posts there us and issue because of the surface finish - ironically wit the same post on a Soul, I had to get a Salsa QR , are suggested by Cotic, to stop it slipping.

FWIW, I did buy a bolt up cheapy seat post collar from QR ( their own brand). It snapped as I tightened it up , so won't be buying one again.

I would like to avoild having to use a bolt through. Maybe I just have to accept it is new seatpost time
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There are much better QR clamps than the Hope one, The KCNC one is very nicely made (got one for Christmas, nice brass instead of shitty plastic bush), also OE GT ones are rather nice (In fact I used a bush off one I had damaged on a Hope for a while as it was much better than the friction laden Hope one). For bolt on ones, The Voodoo OE one is nice (I have one on my commuter) as are the On-one own brand ones (my wife's and younger daughter's bikes both use that one).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I also had an On-one seat collar snap in half ...
    Thanks everyone - I will look at the KCNC one and the Salsa
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    I recommend an AEST QR clamp. Never had a problem with mine, and adds a bit of bling too. Very well made.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AEST-ALLOY-BI ... 565d8bd4af
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Mr moofo wrote:
    I know with Thomson posts there us and issue because of the surface finish -

from memroy, the thomson posts are machined to have tiny ridges - this reduces the surface area for grip.

i suggest applying some carbon past - also ensure the split in the shim aligns with the split in the seat tube.