Giant TCR Comp 1 vs Wilier GTR 105

Graeme Jones
Graeme Jones Posts: 361
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
I am now looking for a second bike to buy for the season ahead and put my defy3 on commute/poor weather duties but I'm a bit undecided on what to get.

I love Giant, they seem to have nailed the good quality elements in which I have had no issues with my giant at all since 2012.
I like the TCR Comp1 with full ultegra groupset apart from the breaks but I have also spotted the Wilier GTR but fail to see how they compare with the Wilier being given 105 and low end Shimano wheels for an extra couple of hundred over the Giant. The Wilier did catch my eye as the frame is beautiful!

Does anyone know more about the Wilier am I missing something?

Comments

• GGBiker
    GGBiker Posts: 450
    Giant offer a quality but unexciting product (some might say), they are a huge company and can give a good deal due to economies of scale.

Wilier are a small company with a strong heritage who make good bikes which are a rarer sight on the road.

The choice is yours as to what you want to spend your money on!
  • The Wilier is a great looking bike and certainly pulls on the heart strings to look at but don't want to short change myself if a better spec can be had. I quite like Giant so no problems there, so many of the bigger branded companies I'm not too keen on to be fair such as Trek,Specialized,Scott but I like Giant, Wilier, Planet X.

Guess I've got some time to mull over the options and see if I can get a ride on either.
  • thefog
    thefog Posts: 197
    I'm in a similar predicament - really like the Wilier GTR ultegra but know for the price (£2k) I would get an amazing spec with a Giant. I don't particularly dislike Giants but they are a bit bland aesthetically. If I buy a Giant or similar I'll probably regret not getting the Wilier!
  • ck101
    ck101 Posts: 222
    That Willer Frame is indeed nice however I'd buy the Giant.

The frame is Di2 compatible, it has ride sense and Giant P-SL1 wheels are top class.
  • I bought a TCR Composite 1 before Christmas. I hadn't considered a Giant at all really, was considering a PX RT58 or Canyon. Then I found out I get 20% off through my club at my LBS. So the TCR came in at £1280 :-) Felt a bit like selling out to a big brand at first, but I think TCR 1 looks fantastic. The matt/gloss paintwork especially. There are a few too many "Giant" decals for my liking though!
  • Ck101 wrote:

The frame is Di2 compatible, it has ride sense and Giant P-SL1 wheels are top class.

Just to clarify, the TCR Composite 1 comes with the Giant P-Elite C wheelset, not P-SL1. I think they only come with the Advanced range?
  • I have just got the Giant TCR1 2013 and it does have the p-sl1 wheels. Really nice bike but shame that I can't ride it yet as the weather sucks! Best Christmas present I've ever got!
  • ck101
    ck101 Posts: 222
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bik ... /#overview

Maybe I'm incorrect on Di2 compatibility.
  • anonmouse
    anonmouse Posts: 102
    The TCR is a slightly more racy bike than the Wilier, depends on if thats what you want.

The Wilier frame is also made of a higher grade of carbon. The Wilier (to me) feels nicer to ride and far more planted when blasting down hills.

I'd take the Wilier but get rid of the wheels. R5OOs are a bit crap.

I think the Volece one with Miche wheels looks nicer as well.
  • alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    edited January 2014
    I am now looking for a second bike to buy for the season ahead and put my defy3 on commute/poor weather duties but I'm a bit undecided on what to get.

I love Giant, they seem to have nailed the good quality elements in which I have had no issues with my giant at all since 2012.
    I like the TCR Comp1 with full ultegra groupset apart from the breaks but I have also spotted the Wilier GTR but fail to see how they compare with the Wilier being given 105 and low end Shimano wheels for an extra couple of hundred over the Giant. The Wilier did catch my eye as the frame is beautiful!

Does anyone know more about the Wilier am I missing something?

Don't just settle for the one in the shop, the UK spec for Wilier is pretty crap.
    If you go to your local dealer they can order you any of the European options, 11 different groupsets and 4 different wheels.

http://www.wilier.it/en/products/road-bike/gtr/

Obviously you will have to wait for your bike, but it will be worth it .

http://wilierbikes.co.uk/downloads/Custom%20Build%20Program%20-%20Wilier%202014.pdf

UK prices here.
  • Don't just settle for the one in the shop, the UK spec for Wilier is pretty crap.
    If you go to your local dealer they can order you any of the European options, 11 different groupsets and 4 different wheels.

In other words you are suggesting to take it as a "project"...

Sorry, could not resist... I bet you get it a lot... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Don't just settle for the one in the shop, the UK spec for Wilier is pretty crap.

In other words you are suggesting to take it as a "project"...

Sorry, could not resist... I bet you get it a lot... :wink:
    Only from people of a certain age.
  • thefog
    thefog Posts: 197
    Hmmm interesting that the Gtr ultegra is €2149 in Europe, with fulcrum 7s and the badly reviewed cst tyres.

£1832 on today's exchange. With the discount I can obtain the uk spec isn't too bad.
  • leepez
    leepez Posts: 33
    I visited my LBS over the Christmas holidays and also took a fancy to the Wilier GTR Veloce (Black/Lime) bike looked so much nicer in the flesh than on pictures I had recently seen on the internet.

Think I am going to opt to purchase this bike next month but not too sure about the Miche wheelset that comes with the bike.
    Are these wheels any good?

My LBS said they would knock £200 off the bike and I could then choose a different set of new wheels to be added onto the sale.
    Sounds like a good deal but in two minds whether I should bite their hands off?
  • Only way to really tell is to ride them both and see which you prefer. As already stated the Wilier has a higher grade of carbon, which is important because the frame is ultimately the thing you should worry most about, the groupset can be changed at a later stage and will wear our over time anyway. A similar frame on the 2011 version was £1500 on its own!

I've ordered the Wilier for a test ride and should be arriving in a week or two, can't wait! I've mainly gone for it because of the high quality frame, and from being professionally sized at the shop the geometry most suited my proportions. I also already own a Bianchi, so maybe I just have a soft spot for the Italiens! I am training for a Manchester to London one day sportive and the Wilier seems to fit the bill of being racey and exciting but still comfortable for hours (and hours and hours) in the saddle. Managed to get it during a 15% off sale at Edinburgh Bicycle Coop which made it a very reasonable £1500 as well.

I already have a set of Bontrager Race X Lite wheels that'll be going straight on so I'll just keep the stock wheels for my commuting bike.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Ck101 wrote:

The Wilier is Di2 ready. I bought one as a second bike selling the Veloce group set, FSA cranks and bars, seat and Miche wheels as I only wanted the frame set. (Cheaper to buy a Veloce equipped bike and sell the unwanted bits on.) Guy who bought the FSA cranks had the left arm come loose mid ride despite it being torqued to the correct tightness. Hopefully it is a one off rather than a batch of faulty FSA cranks again. LBS has been alerted and were going to contact the FSA rep.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Pedro77
    Pedro77 Posts: 59
    Well, I had a Giant TCR with 105 groupset and could not fault it in terms of reliability, decent quality frame, really good bike. Last year, however, I have bought a Wilier GTR Centaur with Fulcrum Racing 5s... Is not a Pinarello Dogma but what was really noticeable was the attention to detail in the bike build, also the ride is so much better, it is a really nice bike to ride, wants to go fast and it is fast and responsive. So much so that I am consider one of the more racy versions of the Wilier for a best bike in next year or so.

There are so many nice brands out there, you have to try it to see if you like it, might not be best value but I think the frames are really nice made and ride beautifully, makes you feel a little bit special too, call it Italian flair....

Pedro