Is there much weight worth chasing in these?

Whiteeddymurphy
Whiteeddymurphy Posts: 169
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Just ordered a 2013 R3 which comes with FSA slk seat post, alloy 3t bars & stem. Is it worth replacing with 3t carbon on each item or not to reduce weight further ? I would also like to replace seat. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    3t alloy bars could be 300g and the stem about 150g. The lighest bars,carbon will be in the 180g range, there are light as well but they may be a bit flexy.
    The lightest road stems are around 100g.
    Most seats will be in the 250-300g range. The lighest seats are 100g or less.
    For the post cut the length that is not needed off that will save weight for free. SLK posts are pretty light there are some very light posts about like USE carbon or Ti post that weighs 165g but it will cost you. There are some very light 130g posts as well (woodman springs to mind).

So yes weight can be saved but for example Deda supperlegraa bars and stem will set you back £250 even if you get a good deal the RRP for these parts is something like £390.
    Sella Italia 85g seat are over £200.
    A USE post is well over £100.

So 400-500g could be saved but you will have to spend over £500 to get it. Spending a bit of cash to get 100g saving (for cheaper parts) is something that will just lighten your wallet.

Change the seat because it is not comfortable unless you are embarking on a weight weenie project.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    The 3T alloy stems weigh virtually the same as the carbon stem(125grms) and they look better.
    I've used 3T alloy bars and you can't fault them(260 ish grams), I now use the carbon 3T ergosum team bars and these weigh less than 200grms but they do flex a bit on the drops.
    3T seatposts probably have the worst seat rail clamp in the cycling world and they aren't that light, apart from that they're ok though.
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    Had an R3 since October stored away due to injury. I changed the saddle to the arione Garmin team edition... the shape suits me. If you have a pair of light weight wheels that should be enough to make a difference. As for changing bars/stem etc it begins to get very expensive for diminishing returns. Did you get the Dark edition?
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • No 2013 model I'm afraid....funds wouldn't allow that option. I'm sure ill like it though
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    The R3 is a great bike. It's hard to resist the kitchen scales with carbon this and that. Ultimately we save a few grams and lighten our wallet. If you tonnes of spare cash then fire on, but I know the thing holding back my Cervelo will be the old man perched on it :lol:
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • defride
    defride Posts: 277
    I've just changed wheels to tubeless and 3T Ergonova Team carbon bar and Palladio Team carbon post. The reason I changed the bar/post was less to do with the weight saving (circa 250g for the bar/post) and more comfort. Going carbon on my MTB made a noticeable difference.

Hard to know for sure which of the wheels v bar/post has made the bigger difference to comfort but there is a big difference in the ride. For example there's a long straight road on one of my regular rides with a particularly rough surface, bigger than normal stones in the tarmac with bits missing all over the place. Previously the surface was transmitted to the point where it felt hard work to ride, it literally seemed to slow momentum. I've ridden it twice now with the new setup and the bike skips across, barely notice the surface, bigger knocks also feel more like a soft thud than a hard smack. While most of that I'd attribute to the wheels I'd say the bar/post has likely also had a positive effect.

In terms of saddles, I tried a few and didn't really get on then remembered good experiences in the distant past with Flite Ti's, I had a look and there were reams of great reviews, picked one up and instantly felt at home, great saddle for those with the right shape.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The problem with spending all this cash on lighter parts is you then can't affords to stop for cake on the club run and talk about the new bits you have. A ride without cake is not a nice ride unless it is a race.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.