Alternative to Garmin (For Edge 500 replacement)

milese
milese Posts: 1,233
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
So, after paying Garmin for an out of warrenty replacement for an Edge 500, and it failing after 5 months with Garmin now wanting me to pay for a further replacement I want something else.

Are there any feasable non-Garmin replacements along the lines of the Garmin Edge 500?

(And whilst I dont think there are, whats the main difference between the Edge and the Edge 510?)

Comments

• doolie
    doolie Posts: 42
    The Bryton Rider series are a decently priced competitor to the Garmin series. I have the Rider 35 (now superseded by the 40), very similar to the 500 in features.

Bryton loses out in the software department, although has improved recently
    PlanetX RT-57
    Orbea Orca
    Felt DA
    GT Grade
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    doolie wrote:
    The Bryton Rider series are a decently priced competitor to the Garmin series. I have the Rider 35 (now superseded by the 40), very similar to the 500 in features.

Bryton loses out in the software department, although has improved recently

Software is swings and roundabouts. It does some things better than Garmin, some less so. But of course you don't have to use that much of it.

I think the 40 is a really nice device - it's a neater thing than the 500 and has some good features the 500 doesn't (though, again, there are pros and cons with both).

If you do get a Bryton, don't throw your Garmin mounts away - I think they may be interchangeable with the Bryton ones.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I'm attracted to the Bryton Rider 60 which seems a capable alternative to Garmin's offerings and a suitable upgrade from my Garmin Edge 705.

However, Bryton told me in August that it was due in September, then moved to January 2014 even though it is out in France, Belgium, Holland & Germany (plus South Africa) and typically at a very attractive Euro rate that would make the trip worthwhile. Bryton say warranty would not cover and I do wonder whether they're ready with the UK maps hence the delay.
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • horizon
    horizon Posts: 91
    I was attracted to the Rider 60, but the ongoing delay in launching it in the UK is making me doubt the level of Bryton support. Given that it was announced in the UK media 12 months ago and still has no sign of a release date is making it look like vapourware. The Garrmin Touring has come along since at a very sharp price, but, having seen one in the flesh (in Millets of all places) I was shocked at how poor the screen was.
  • Just because an item is out of warranty, does not mean that they should not replace/repair FOC. You are covered by the Sale Of Goods Act 1979 as amended... and also the SOG 1994. This would normally cover you for up to 6 years (5 in Scotland I believe). May be worth looking into, unless of course you are fed up with the Garmin device and fancy a change.
  • Here's a recent reply from Bryton to my recent enquiry:

We are in the process of changing the current UK distributor so please try to buy Rider 60 in other e-tailers in Europe. For example,

http://www.xxcycle.com/php/boutique/pag ... queSearch=

However, Rider 60 shall be available at UK retailers in April.
  • horizon
    horizon Posts: 91
    I'm still waiting for Bryton to show an interest in the UK market - I've had several email exchanges with Zyro who, until January at least, were distributors. As they've knocked Bryton off their site, I'd assumed they'd dropped it. In January, they told me 'Regrettably, there has been further delays with the Bryton Rider 60, there are still some issues with the mapping for UK customers they are trying to resolve.

We are hopeful that the issues should be resolved and the unit is in the UK market for Summer 2014.'

Which would make me doubt the April date you've been told.
  • Well, April is what Bryton are saying. But April is only 2 days away.

If nothing happens in the UK market soon, I will probably pop over to France/Belgium and get it there.
  • anonmouse
    anonmouse Posts: 102
    Horizon wrote:
    I'm still waiting for Bryton to show an interest in the UK market - I've had several email exchanges with Zyro who, until January at least, were distributors. As they've knocked Bryton off their site, I'd assumed they'd dropped it. In January, they told me 'Regrettably, there has been further delays with the Bryton Rider 60, there are still some issues with the mapping for UK customers they are trying to resolve.

We are hopeful that the issues should be resolved and the unit is in the UK market for Summer 2014.'

Which would make me doubt the April date you've been told.

Zyro are usually a bit meh in their customer support/advice. Wouldn't knock Bryton because of them.