Which 9 speed Chain/Cassette?

zhang
zhang Posts: 222
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
I realised today that the chain on my winter bike is really rather worn and should probably be replaced. I'm a little overwhelmed by the choices out there. So I've been looking at the following:

Sram PG951 and 971 (Both under £10)
Shimano HG93 (Currently discount to £14ish)
KMC X9-73 and X9-93 (£14-16ish)

As for cassettes, I'm open to suggestions. I've got a Ultegra 6500 cassette which looks like it might take a new chain so will probably try that first before I buy anything else.

Any opinions/suggestions? Weight isn't a huge deal for me because my bike (Cannondale CAAD5) is almost 10kg with all the winter bits on, but I care about durability and performance.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I use the 6500 cassette and match it with KMC X9L. It's a very good chain for the money and comes with a Missinglink which makes chain cleaning a doddle.

If your chain is very worn then you might be better off changing both but I can understand wanting to see if the cassette is still ok (just don't give the new chain too long testing the cassette or you will need a new chain, again).
  • Ultegra cassettes are very good and don't seem to chew the freehub splines (if you have an aluminium freehub body) like cheaper alternatives do

As for the chain, I have tried Dura Ace XTR, but it doesn't seem any better or last any longer than the cheaper 9 speed Shimano chains
    left the forum March 2023