Replacing cheap grip shift

ferguslester
ferguslester Posts: 6
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
6-speed on kids bike, very hard to get to 2 lowest gears. The shifter just seems very sticky, cable and mech move freely enough. The other kids bike has a Shimano shifter and its much smoother.

SRAM do this one, should be OK do you think? http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165455

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It will work. How well I don't know.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • flester
    flester Posts: 464
    Can't be any worse. Think I'll try it

'I do not believe in the three-speed gear at all', the sergeant was saying. 'It is a newfangled instrument, it crucificies the legs, the half of the accidents are due to it.' (From 'The Third Policeman')
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Your appear to have two accounts, Mr Lester.
    Might be a good idea to sort that out with the Mods.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Is the current rear mech SRAM or Shimano? Many grip shifts are matched to Shimano rear mechs in which case you need a Shimano compatible shifter!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That one is Shimano compatible.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The best thing I did with the grip shifters on both the kids bikes was replace them with trigger shifters, no more struggling to ride and twist at the same time and therefore alot easier for them and me to deal with :)
    Cheers
    AC
    Carrera Fury for the muddy stuff
    Boardman Road Team for the black stuff
    PDQ for the TT stuff
  • The Rookie
    cooldad wrote:
    That one is Shimano compatible.
    But he may have a SRAM rear mech.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • flester
    mech is marked 'Falcon'. Looks like a shimano... so I'm taking a risk that it will work OK. Might consider trigger shifters too

'I do not believe in the three-speed gear at all', the sergeant was saying. 'It is a newfangled instrument, it crucificies the legs, the half of the accidents are due to it.' (From 'The Third Policeman')
  • The Rookie
    I am pretty sure that Falcon are Shimano compatable, what gripshifters are fitted?
  • flester
    The Rookie wrote:
    I am pretty sure that Falcon are Shimano compatable, what gripshifters are fitted?
    Also Falcon. Looks exactly like a basic shimano one I have on another bike

• flester
    jimothy78 wrote:
    Your appear to have two accounts, Mr Lester.
    Might be a good idea to sort that out with the Mods.
    Can I email the mods or do I post somewhere?

• Even the Sram X3 "Gripshift/Twistshift" are rubbish, I had to change them on my lads bike within months. Not sure what happens to them, but even with well lubed and clean kits they just seem to deteriorate.

I simply replaced the X3 Gripshift with X3 under bar shifters. Not sure if X3 underbar would work with 6sp though.

I would look at underbar or overbar thumbies, low end twist shift is unreliable and not even intuitve to use.