giant trance 27.5 2

jfry94
jfry94 Posts: 392
edited December 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys. Having finally been riding enough to seriously get into the sport. Its time to buy my first proper full sus, as I've been hiring bikes when I've been out. Don't get me wrong I found my kraken amazingly fun to get round most of the stuff at queen Elizabeth country park, I wouldn't want to take one round places like coed y brenin and fod. I've been looking round at bikes and I've taken a fancy to http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/giant ... -2014.html and I'm going to get a demo of one asap. So my questions are. Is there any amazingly better bikes out there? (Non mail order) what's it like to ride? And is there any parts on that bike that would need replacing sharpish or any that will hold me back from getting better? Is the trance 27.5 1 worth the £300 considering I can get giant's dropper post for free using the podium points from pedal on?
2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
2007 Carrera Kraken

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    It's an excellent ride, superb frame. Let down a bit by the suspension. The rear shock is a little wallowy when pushed hard but the fork is the real let down and to make it worse it has an odd size steerer tube so you won't be able to sell it.
    I would go for the Trance 2 and allow £400 for a new fork or a FIT damper for the original fork.
    Other than the dodgy fork it's great value, spot on geometry and it pedals extremely well. Takes big hits well.
  • jfry94
    jfry94 Posts: 392
    Sweet the frames the main thing. As a beginner/intermediate I don't thing I'm going to be pushing it greatly but my plan was to ride it for 6-9 months then buy a pike. Will a shock tune sort out the rear?
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 1
    2013 Cannondale Jekyll 3
    2007 Carrera Kraken
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The shock and fork both have sealed dampers which cannot be tuned. If you want to fit a Pike you will want the Trance SX. On the standard Trance I wouldn't go any bigger than 140mm with the fork, the geometry is so nice that a longer fork could ruin it. I would probably upgrade it with a Cane Creek air shock and a FIT damper in the fork.