Sportful No Rain Fiandre jkt or Castelli Gabba long sleeve..

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Dear all. Need some advice and help spending some Xmas gift money :)
I ordered a Sportful Fiandre No Rain jacket (Evans doing them for 99 squid at the mo) but having tried it on it is pretty robust (thick and fleecy). I was expecting it to be quite a bit thinner. I already use a Mavic Echappee jacket for my winter rides, which still looks and works as good as new, so think I could be doubling up on kit a bit, although the Fiandre should offer better weather protection than my trusty Mavic. The Fiandre does come in a rather shocking flouro colourway that I like though 8) but the medium size I got is also a little tight under the arms...

As I do tend to run hot I was wondering about going for a long sleeve Castelli Gabba instead, as that is probably more breathable than the thick Fiandre jacket, and with a decent long sleeve base layer might see me better in a broader range of temps? Also comes in shocking flouro, and has side vents which the thicker Fiandre jacket doesn't.

Did have a look for the Fiandre No Rain Light version, as that might have been ideal (and cheaper) but no one seems to carry it any more.

What d'you reckon? Does it sound like the Gabba will do what I want? Oh, and I'm presuming its a bit thicker than the short sleeve version, but would be grateful if anyone could confirm...

cheers
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Sportful Fiandre No Rain jacket and gabba are both made out of the same gore 4 way material. I have a gabba s/s and its very good down to about 5 with Nano arm warmers. The sportful may have a heavier lining. I was thinking about getting a Fiandre but very unsure about the sizing. My gabba is a larger and is tight, what size/weight/chest are you. Some buyers on wiggle seem to less that 70kg and went with a xlarge?
  • vespario
    vespario Posts: 228
    I have a long sleeve Gabba. Am 38 inch chest and went for large. Is snug but fits. I find it quite hot and wear with thick base layer on cold days. Stick a gillet in pocket as necessary.

Like you I have a mavic echappee jacket. I alternate between the 2 according to the temperature.

I would recommend! Not totally waterproof though!
  • luv2ride
    I know what you mean about sizing. I have a Castelli (who own Sportful?) Velocissimo team short sleeve in medium which fits like a dream - I'm a 37.5" chest with a 33" waist. The Fiandre fits great, apart from under the arms where it's a little too snug. I returned a medium Sportful Survival jkt last year for the same reason, and when I managed to try it a Large it was too big. Maybe I'm just between sizes in Sportful?

I've read on various forums that the Gabbas size up a little large by Castelli standards, so was hoping the medium Gabba long sleeve should be a good fit for me?
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • luv2ride
    so, should I have gone for a Large rather than a medium in the Gabba? Forgot to say I'm 5,8 and a bit, and around 70 kgs.
  • I'm 5'9 72 kgs and my medium is fine. Worn it on every ride since October, great piece of kit, just select an appropriate baselayer, breathes just fine as a lot of my outside riding is putting the effort in and not pottering.
  • luv2ride
    Thanks xscreamsuk, that sounds like my style of riding so looks like the medium Gabba will be perfect. I do a lot of solo rides so tend to push on a bit, hence my need for a breathable, weather resistant jersey as otherwise I can be a sweaty mess. Hope it'll be here for the weekend!
  • No experience of the sportful but been very happy with l/s Gabba.

Also tend to run on the hot side once warmed up and Gabba with long or short sleeve base layer depending on temp has seen me happily through my December rides in temps of 0-5c.

For what it's worth I'm 5'8", 74kg and got a medium which fits nicely.

Bought through J E James, 10% off and if you use their Sale10 code comes in around the £145 mark.
  • Got the Sportful Fiandre NoRain and the Castelli Gabba SS - for me the Gabba is a spring autumn item that you wear if it's not too cold but very wet, the Fiandre NoRain is better in colder conditions as it's more like a jacket but tbh I use it just with a baselayer & it's fine. Also got the Sportful Extreme which is amazing even past 0deg. The material on all of them is windproof & water resistant & yes both companies are owned by Manifattura Valcismon (AKA Sportful).
    Fit wise they are both a little smaller than most brits go for but I find they fit as they are supposed to (IE aero/no loose material) and are still comfortable.
    Next winter's Sportful kit looks like it will be covering all the bases for wet/cold weather gear...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've the gabba S/S and the Armwarmers to go with it. Great for Spring/Autumn but not when it gets cold.

Its a little cool for me in Winter - I prefer a thicker jacket and layers underneath.

Everyone is different though - I think I run a little cooler than some.
  • peteco
    peteco Posts: 184
    I have the Gabba long sleeve - 5'11" , 78kg and XL fits me well.
    I run hot and am plenty warm enough with just a l/s base layer down to 2-3 deg C
    Love the jacket.

Pete
  • designman
    designman Posts: 405
    I am 5' 11", 32 inch waist, 37 inch chest, weigh 65kg and have a large Gabba S/S with Nanoflex Armwarmers, the fit is perfect, it allows me to wear a base layer and an aero jersey under.
    Now the weather is getting colder, I tend to wear my Espresso Jacket with just a base layer.
  • luv2ride
    I'm still waiting on the Gabba LS to be delivered (no dispatch email from Evans yet :cry: ) but hope the medium will be ok.

Used my Craft Elite Weather short sleeve jersey this afternoon (8 degrees and cold wind) with No Rain arm warmers and a short sleeve merino base layer and was well impressed with it, despite it being very thin it completely blocks the wind and breathes well. Really does seem to be a "poor man's Gabba". Given the difference in price it will be interesting to see if the Gabba is really 3 x better (I managed to get the Craft jersey for £55) :?
  • tazmon
    tazmon Posts: 107
    I've gone for this http://www.probikekit.co.uk/sports-clot ... 39743.html as I thought it was closer to the spec of the Gabba. Not been out in it yet though!
    Road - Scott Solace
    Mountain - Santa Cruz Tazmon (retro) and Scott Spark
  • luv2ride
    I almost went for one of those as well, but didn't think they were as water resistant as their jackets with the No Rain treatment? Be interested to hear how it performs. Just got a txt from Evans to say my Gabba should be with me on Monday 8)
  • luv2ride
    The medium Gabba has finally arrived. Pretty tight on my 5'8" frame :shock: (37.5" chest 33" waist). Seems good but gosh the collar is tight (and surprised that at the hefty price there's no zip guard). I have a 15.5" collar - anyone else find these tight around the neck, or should I try a large?