GXP bottom bracket issues help please

j_l
j_l Posts: 425
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all help required please

My Meta 4 had a SRAM GXP Bottom bracket in it that lasted 2 years, when that died I bought a superstar replacement that fitted straight in and lasted just under a year, I have since bought a Shimano replacement and tried to fit it today. However I am finding that on the drive side the BB cup butts right up against the crank not allowing smooth rotation, the width and cup size is exactly the same size as both previous units but it's obvious it is never going to work with out some kind of spacer to keep the crank off the BB cup, am I missing something or is the Shimano unit not comparable with SRAM units?

Help appreciated in advance.

Many thanks

Jon
I'm not old I'm Retro

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    SRAM and Shimano wont work together. I think you can shim them to work, but the way the bearings are loaded is totally different, so you'd destroy the Shimano one in no time.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    +1 for benpinnicks comments above... you need a GXP BB
  • I would ditch GXP all together. I did, totally rubbish design. The bearings are too small for the loads being placed on them which is why they fail so quickly, especially on the drive side.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    You can't mix SRAM and Shimano. Not only is the spacing different but SRAM GXP has a tapered non-drive side spline.

Nothing wrong with GXP in my experience though. My current BB has been in for just over 2 years and is just starting to grumble a bit.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • j_l
    j_l Posts: 425
    yep my bad, I bought a SRAM GPX unit for just over 22quid and it fitted perfectly......

you live and learn

thanks for the help people that will teach me to try to save a few quid on parts (the Shimano unit was only 13quid).... :roll:
    I'm not old I'm Retro