Carbon Micro Fender, why ?

topdude
topdude Posts: 1,557
edited January 2014 in Road general
Seen this pointless looking accessory in the BR mag a few times :?
http://www.ubyk.co.uk/genetic-carbon-micro-fender/14823
What is it for, what part of the bike or rider will it protect ?
Why does it even exist ?
He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!

Comments

  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    Trying to make mud guards fashionable.

    Anything carbon will sell these days
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    edited December 2013
    I agree that the carbon element looks a bit of BS but it might make sense as there is not much material and plastic might flex too much?? The idea of the thing is pretty much as an ass-saver, nothing more. Don't get the point myself, given that there are some decent alternatives like Crud or SKS Raceblade Longs. That way, you also get protection for the bike, your feet and those following.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Might keep the rider's ar$e dry, but wouldn't fancy riding behind it
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Really is a case of less is more.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • could see how it would work to help keep rider dry on a tt bike while training. Couldn't fit any other option on my TT bike.
  • the reason its carbon is so they can charge 45 quid for it. Someone is having a laugh.
  • trooperk
    trooperk Posts: 189
    Got the idea from this I think.
    r1200gs_hugger_mod05.jpg
    Specialized-The clitoris of bikes.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Cute
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    That's fine for a motorbike where the underside of the seat acts as a mudguard and where the relative speed and airflow will keep the spray down
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Just realised i could fit six of them around the wheel and get full coverage, is £300 too much for a rear mudguard :?
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    trooperk wrote:
    Got the idea from this I think.
    r1200gs_hugger_mod05.jpg

    That "mudguard" on the beemer isn't really there for any other purpose that conforming to German law regarding fitting of mudguards and their height from the road. They do very little in actually keeping the rear end clean.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

    Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    topdude wrote:
    Why does it even exist ?

    There's an old saying in modifying cars which is "because racecar".

    With road bikes, this is "because carbon".
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • Why..It does the job perfectly- can be fitted and removed in minutes and it looks pretty cool too
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    WestieBoy wrote:
    Why..It does the job perfectly- can be fitted and removed in minutes and it looks pretty cool too

    Hmm... You registered today and this is your first post...

    Welcome to the forums. As you can see, we think your invention is a bit rubbish.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    DiscoBoy wrote:
    WestieBoy wrote:
    Why..It does the job perfectly- can be fitted and removed in minutes and it looks pretty cool too

    Hmm... You registered today and this is your first post...

    Welcome to the forums. As you can see, we think your invention is a bit rubbish.

    To be fair, not just rubbish, laughably expensive too :)
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    DiscoBoy wrote:
    WestieBoy wrote:
    Why..It does the job perfectly- can be fitted and removed in minutes and it looks pretty cool too

    Hmm... You registered today and this is your first post...

    Welcome to the forums. As you can see, we think your invention is a bit rubbish.

    Either that or he's just bought one and is a bit upset that we're all saying it's rubbish.

    Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

    I have no idea what's going on here.
  • topdude
    topdude Posts: 1,557
    Well they seem even less value for money than i thought, looks like it is only the arm that is Carbon, the rest is polycarbonate :shock:
    Whoever makes these must be laughing every time one is sold :?
    He is not the messiah, he is a very naughty boy !!
  • stongle
    stongle Posts: 61
    topdude wrote:
    Why does it even exist ?

    I'll bite.

    I have one for my winter trainer / commuter / hack.

    Any good? well its OK'ish for light drizzle wet roads / showery conditions. It reduces the spray into following riders face; but that’s about it. Probably 17 times sh*tter than race blades or anything full size for keeping the rider dry BUT it looks about a million times less g*sh (and doesn’t sound like the bike is falling apart like other peoples contraptions). Yeah, you'll get a soggy bum (and wearing a white Rapha gillet is a non-non); but at least you have been 0.61% more courteous on a club run (cost = diminishing returns), than no guards at all (and to be fair sitting behind Race blades is only about 0.942% more effective than no fenders anyway). And in proper rain, everyone gets wet (anyone whom says otherwise is a liar, or Jesus).

    For 47 quid (or thereabouts); it’s all relative. Costs around the same as a bottle cage / a single Ti skewer.

    So to the point (or why it exists). If viewed purely as a (winter) aesthetic mod; its about 650 quid cheaper than a pair of 2kilo (non-aero) carbon fairing clinchers. Or is that a whole other thread.

    Still what do I know, I even own some Assos bibs and a Trek. I shouldn’t be posting and probably end myself or something.
    Dry - 2015 Parlee ESX
    Wet - 2013 Madone 7 Series
    Commuting & general abuse - Boardman AIR9.2s
    Carbon and electric everything. I've yet to get zapped and nothings melted (yet anyway)
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    stongle wrote:
    topdude wrote:
    Why does it even exist ?

    I'll bite.

    I have one for my winter trainer / commuter / hack.

    Any good? well its OK'ish for light drizzle wet roads / showery conditions. It reduces the spray into following riders face; but that’s about it. Probably 17 times sh*tter than race blades or anything full size for keeping the rider dry BUT it looks about a million times less g*sh (and doesn’t sound like the bike is falling apart like other peoples contraptions). Yeah, you'll get a soggy bum (and wearing a white Rapha gillet is a non-non); but at least you have been 0.61% more courteous on a club run (cost = diminishing returns), than no guards at all (and to be fair sitting behind Race blades is only about 0.942% more effective than no fenders anyway). And in proper rain, everyone gets wet (anyone whom says otherwise is a liar, or Jesus).

    For 47 quid (or thereabouts); it’s all relative. Costs around the same as a bottle cage / a single Ti skewer.

    So to the point (or why it exists). If viewed purely as a (winter) aesthetic mod; its about 650 quid cheaper than a pair of 2kilo (non-aero) carbon fairing clinchers. Or is that a whole other thread.

    Still what do I know, I even own some Assos bibs and a Trek. I shouldn’t be posting and probably end myself or something.

    So the main argument is how it looks, then? I think that 99% of people view that as irrelevant for a winter bike. The other 1% can buy these if they want, and then we can laugh at them.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • tomisitt
    tomisitt Posts: 257
    I don't think these are really aimed at the winter bike crowd...they seem to be aimed at people who want a modicum of protection while on their best or only bike, and who don't want it to look like an old clunker. Personally, I'll stick to my Ass Saver, but I won't be laughing at someone else just because they bought a micro-fender.
  • stongle
    stongle Posts: 61
    DiscoBoy. 99% think aesthetics are irrelevent on a winter bike? So only 1% of bikes are currently being ridden fenderless???

    You're posting as much sh*te as my made up numbers.

    Anyway, I actually have one (laugh it up cycling hardman); and they are better than no guards at all, marginally. In my (entirely subjective) observation; there are as many people riding without guards as with currently; so 47quid for a marginal improvement (in not spraying the following rider) is peanuts in bike terms these days (comment re: wheels should have been smilied; if it makes you happy then why not - especially if adds to your enjoyment of riding).

    The inverted snob, cycling hardman, sponsored by frikkin Lidl posts really boil my p*ss. I'm retiring to reading rather than posting again.
    Dry - 2015 Parlee ESX
    Wet - 2013 Madone 7 Series
    Commuting & general abuse - Boardman AIR9.2s
    Carbon and electric everything. I've yet to get zapped and nothings melted (yet anyway)
  • stongle wrote:
    DiscoBoy. 99% think aesthetics are irrelevent on a winter bike? So only 1% of bikes are currently being ridden fenderless???

    You're posting as much sh*te as my made up numbers.

    Anyway, I actually have one (laugh it up cycling hardman); and they are better than no guards at all, marginally. In my (entirely subjective) observation; there are as many people riding without guards as with currently; so 47quid for a marginal improvement (in not spraying the following rider) is peanuts in bike terms these days (comment re: wheels should have been smilied; if it makes you happy then why not - especially if adds to your enjoyment of riding).

    The inverted snob, cycling hardman, sponsored by frikkin Lidl posts really boil my p*ss. I'm retiring to reading rather
    than posting again.

    I don't personally give a toss about what other people think! All I want to know is does the fender keep most of the crap off your posterior and where did you find one for sale?
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Being given away free this month if you subscribe to the Cyclist magazine...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It's a bit like those 50 quid carbon fibre mini pumps about the size of a lipstick - completely and utterly useless but doesn't stop people with more money than sense buying them.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • First off, I'll admit to not really looking into this much as it doesn't really appeal to me in the first place. I just figured they'd be aimed at club riders purely to prevent you soaking the following rider in a pack.
    What I couldn't get my head around though is that it's twice the price of a FULL set of crud roadracers and (by design) does less of a job.
    There can't be much of a weight argument to be had here either. As a full set of roadracers (front and rear) is 180g. And this thing is 70-ish.
    So you save maybe 30-50g if you just fit one to the rear.

    Still, if some folks want to stick them on their bikes that's entirely their prerogative to do so. Personally though, I'd save my money for hookers and blow.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,418
    stongle wrote:
    topdude wrote:
    Why does it even exist ?

    I'll bite.

    I have one for my winter trainer / commuter / hack.

    Any good? well its OK'ish for light drizzle wet roads / showery conditions. It reduces the spray into following riders face; but that’s about it. Probably 17 times sh*tter than race blades or anything full size for keeping the rider dry BUT it looks about a million times less g*sh (and doesn’t sound like the bike is falling apart like other peoples contraptions). Yeah, you'll get a soggy bum (and wearing a white Rapha gillet is a non-non); but at least you have been 0.61% more courteous on a club run (cost = diminishing returns), than no guards at all (and to be fair sitting behind Race blades is only about 0.942% more effective than no fenders anyway). And in proper rain, everyone gets wet (anyone whom says otherwise is a liar, or Jesus).

    For 47 quid (or thereabouts); it’s all relative. Costs around the same as a bottle cage / a single Ti skewer.

    So to the point (or why it exists). If viewed purely as a (winter) aesthetic mod; its about 650 quid cheaper than a pair of 2kilo (non-aero) carbon fairing clinchers. Or is that a whole other thread.

    Still what do I know, I even own some Assos bibs and a Trek. I shouldn’t be posting and probably end myself or something.

    You would pay £47 for a bottle cage or a skewer? Jeez, no wonder this sort of rubbish not only exists but gets sold!

    Oh, and this is a UK based site. Since when have we started calling mudguards fenders?
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    I use a plastic drinks bottle cut in half plus a few cable ties for rear & front mud guards.


    & total weight of both its lighter than the that rear cf thingy I reckon, probably less aero though. :shock:


    Total cost 2p for cable ties maybe.

    as for bottles cages...

    I got theese ones seem very good quality:

    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BOPXABC/pl ... ottle-cage

    Also got theese for a different bike

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carbon-Fiber- ... 0936690764

    Plastic not cf, but I think i remember weighing them & finding they were lighter than some of the real cf ones.