Trainer Advice

johnr76
johnr76 Posts: 56
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I've looked around the forums but thought best to post here.

I'm looking at trainers for my wife and myself. I've nearly made a purchase on the Tacx Flow Ergotrainer but wondered if anyone had any experience of using this and if they can advise any others around the same price range (up to £300).

How is the Tacx used with their own videos and others e.g. Sufferfest? I understand that the video will inform you when to set the resistance, correct? Do the videos slow down with your performance?

Do we actually need a trainer with the computer that comes with the Flow or are there other alternatives?

Sorry for what could be basic/stupid/simple questions.

Cheers!

Comments

• When I had a Tacx, when cycling and the video started to go up hill, the resistance would increase and vice versa. For sufferfest, I doubt they talk to the turbo trainer, but dont quote me on that. I just use sufferfest videos on a normal turbo. The ones that link to the computer are a nice gimmick, but I got bored with it. and the DVD's cost so much.
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • ck101
    ck101 Posts: 222
    I have the Tacx flow and it's great. It has Wattage which is a big plus. This combined with a few Sufferfest videos is a great way to start.

I'm now looking at an upgrade and considering the Tacx Bushido Ipad version or a Wahoo Kickr. See the website DCRainmaker for full reviews on trainer products.
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    My experience of the Tacx Flow is good. Just don't go believing that the "power" figures it gives you are in any way accurate. I use mine with a power meter and the difference between what the power meter says and the Flow's estimated wattage is large and not linear. Still, as long as you set it up the same each time, it's still a good way to tell if you're improving. Strava have recently started offering the ability to watch Sufferfest videos as part of their premium membership, so that might be worth checking out.
  • lc1981 wrote:
    My experience of the Tacx Flow is good. Just don't go believing that the "power" figures it gives you are in any way accurate. I use mine with a power meter and the difference between what the power meter says and the Flow's estimated wattage is large and not linear. Still, as long as you set it up the same each time, it's still a good way to tell if you're improving. Strava have recently started offering the ability to watch Sufferfest videos as part of their premium membership, so that might be worth checking out.

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't realise Strava were offering the ability to watch Sufferfest videos so thanks for the tip.

I'll be getting the Flow I think so we'll see how it goes!

One other question - if there are two of us using the trainer is there any way of storing individual's stats etc without them clashing with each other?
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    I only use the computer that it comes with to set the resistance level, so not sure. I use my Garmin with a speed/cadence sensor for actually recording my turbo rides.