Help installing Reverb...leaking oil?

kammybear
kammybear Posts: 500
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Bought a OEM Reverb a few months back but only got round to installing it today.

The remote when depressed doesnt come back up. If you press it, you can hear some hydraulics and some oil leaks out the reverb hose from the reverb end....the hose wobbles and seems kinda loose...is this normal? It's rock tight on the remote end....have a bleed kit ordered and on route but it looks to me to be faulty rather than just needing a bleed?

Does this sound normal and just needing a bleed or does the hose need tightening? I've taken a few pix to show how the hose connects in case it is loose?

E2191F5F-3524-45A8-B582-9DBD841C7172_zpsdnqaiyc2.jpg

BDEC3111-9A22-4662-A17C-645B21761EA4_zpswr52icsw.jpg

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Try tightening it up.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • That does indeed look loose.
  • Thanks for confirming guys. what tool do I need to tighten it up without having to cut/replace the hose as thats what the SRAM video on youtube seems to suggest!
  • miceden
    miceden Posts: 225
    a simple spanner
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    I'd be inclined to send it back. If oil is leaking, then surely air is getting in and it will now need bled?

I bought an OEM Reverb from Germany and without even using it I found it would lose all its air pressure. I sent it back under warranty a couple of weeks ago and on Christmas eve received a brand new retail model complete with bleed kit :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • sounds like someone hasn't reconnected the post nipple correctly (either not tight enough or cross threaded) if not tight enough, then do it up, if cross-threaded I would send back.

If you have internal routing you'll have to cut the tube and re-bleed anyway - it's not the hardest job in the world, but 4 hands are better than 2!
    Bikes:
    Cannondale Killer V 1995 (Promo model) - My first Race bike now converted to a commuter
    Lapierre X-Flow 712 - XC fs rocket
    Pivot Mach 6 - Enduro Machine
    Pinarello FP2 - Roadie
  • kammybear
    kammybear Posts: 500
    Thanks the help guys. My bleedkit arrived today and I got everything sorted.

You'd think it would be okay out the box but I guess buying OEM is risky? Basically, there was no air in the post, there was shitloads of air in the hose and the post nipple was loose! Addressed all these and a bleed sorted it all out!