XT crankset

ej2320
ej2320 Posts: 1,543
edited December 2013 in MTB general
Just an XT crankset from CRC

Not moaning but just curious, I have the 38/24 version and it doesn't appear to have dyna sys but the 40/28 and 38/26 versions do.. I was just wondering why?

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    ej2320 wrote:
    Not moaning but just curious, I have the 38/24 version and it doesn't appear to have dyna sys but the 40/28 and 38/26 versions do.. I was just wondering why?

Not sure what you mean by "doesn't have Dynasys" - I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that Dynasys was just shimano's brand name for 10-speed mountainbike drivetrain parts, just like "Mega9" was their name for 9-speed.
  • ej2320
    Maybe I've misunderstood, but on the box it showed the other versions as having dyna sys and they have it printed over the chainrings.. the 38/24 doesn't

I don't really understand all terms but I just understood it as not having dyna sys
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Shimano wrote:
    Completely new drivetrain
    Shimano has changed the standard set-up of the drivetrain to increase the efficiency and achieve a remarkable stability. The current standard set up is 44-32-22 teeth chain rings combined with 9-speed cassette sprockets. This will change to 42-32-24 teeth chain rings combined with 10-speed cassette sprockets.

The advantages of a closer ratio front drivetrain with wider range cassette sprockets:

1. Increased efficiency
    A wider range 10-speed HG cassette means riders can spend more time in the 32T middle chain ring. And when they do have to drop to the granny, it’s a smoother, faster shift thanks to the more useable 24T inner chain ring. Also the 42T big-ring is easier to ride and smoother to get into so riders will use it more.
    Traditionally, riders have had to get used to making two or three recovery shifts in the rear every time they drop into the 22T granny. With Dyna-Sys, it’s just one recovery shift and it’s needed less often.
    Dyna-Sys makes shifting to the granny a seamless transition, letting riders deliver consistent, efficient power while maintaining cadence.

I'm guessing the double 38/24 ring combo means more than one recovery shift, therefore it's outside the 'Dyna-sys' philosophy?
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Its just a marketing thing. It doesnt matter. Move on.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    TwellySmat wrote:

This. Marketing term for their 10 speed stuff.
  • ej2320
    lawman wrote:
    TwellySmat wrote:

This. Marketing term for their 10 speed stuff.

Ahh ok, I wasn't getting worked up over it, I just didn't really understand
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Save your money and buy SLX. There's only a few (13?) grammes weight difference
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    I picked up an XT double for £95ish from CRC a couple of weeks ago, same price as SLX at the moment and it looks nicer.

There is still only about a tenner in it so I would go XT.
  • ej2320
    TwellySmat wrote:
    I picked up an XT double for £95ish from CRC a couple of weeks ago, same price as SLX at the moment and it looks nicer.

There is still only about a tenner in it so I would go XT.

That's exactly what I've done

I prefer the look of the XT and it only cost about £10 more