whch pike??

jonnyashworth
jonnyashworth Posts: 547
edited December 2013 in MTB buying advice
I am looking a swapping out the fox 150 float RLC off my blur LT for a pike but which one should I choose??

150 solo air??? or 160 dual position solo air?????

do the dual position suffer stiction???
Yeti SB66c 2013

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Do you think dual position will be useful?
    I have dual position revelations, no noticable stiction but I never really drop it to the lower position.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    I'm going to be ordering some Pikes and I'll be getting the RCT3 Solo air for 2 reasons
    1. I doubt I'll ever use the dual air feature so don't see the point paying £40 extra
    2. Dual air isn't in black
  • Get the 650b ones, more futureproof and give you a touch more clearance at the front which is always handy.

As for soloair vs dual air, generally I recommend travel adjust forks for short travel bikes where you want to slacken it out occasionally (the 5010 is lush with DPA pikes on the front) but solo air for longer bikes (travel adjust is generally a waste of time on the bronson)
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Whilst the pike is great, so is the fork you have at the moment, but if you are definitely going for the pike, I would personally go for the non dual position one as its cheaper and I would never really end up using the lower position, and it's one more thing to go wrong...
  • I've just got a pair of 150mm solo air seem good so far price seemed good to £550 from cotic bikes
  • Secondly..... Does anybody have any experience of riding a Blur LT that's running a 160mm fork???
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If you don't like it you can always fit a 10mm spacer to drop it to 150mm
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    If you don't like it you can always fit a 10mm spacer to drop it to 150mm

Afaik they use separate air springs so you can't adjust them without swapping the entire air spring.
  • If you don't like it you can always fit a 10mm spacer to drop it to 150mm

Not possible on a solo air fork. You either replace the air spring or cut and shorten the shaft.

I wish people would stop pedaling this misconception and had some idea what they were talking about.