Looking to get a new bike up to £6000

2»

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You can build a bike up cheaply if you take your time and keep your eyes out for bargains - but if you're not that fussy - off the peg is usually better value. The bike makers have far bigger buying power than we do.

I'd have thought the OP cant be that fussy if he's asking strangers what to buy.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    £6k for an off the peg bike? For less than that you can get a Colnago C59 or the C59 disc. Custom wise it would have to be Seven/Guru/Parlee/Serotta or a UK builder like Feather or Rourke
    M.Rushton
  • I'm biased, but Parlee.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I wonder if the OP is having a New Year's giggle with this thread - they haven't exactly been participating since setting it up...

Peter
  • northpole wrote:
    I wonder if the OP is having a New Year's giggle with this thread - they haven't exactly been participating since setting it up...

Peter
    That would be a shame.

I find it interesting to know what really is state of the art. We can all take the little bits from it that are useful to us personally.

Sounds like the London custom bike show is worth a visit.
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    edited January 2014
    Little dove - sadly you wasn't see much state of the art for £6k. For £6k you probably get the top of the range off the peg branded frameset with top of the range groupset and a decent finishing kit and set of wheels. If you go custom, you will get a good, but not top spec carbon frameset - Legend do a couple of custom framesets in the £3k range, but their top frames are closer to £5k and a Parlee custom frame will also be circa £5k (upwards!). If you go steel you can put together a very good bike built around a custom frameset and come in under budget.

I am just finishing up a C59 build, which doesn't seem particularly exotic, but with SRM 9000 and 202 firecrest wheels it left £6k behind some time ago !
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    'State of the art' implies that bicycles somehow massively benefit from high technology, when we all know that this isn't really true.

The Bespoked show was really good when it was at Bristol. 2014 will be the first year they hold it somewhere else. I don't know what they have planned but I'm sure there will be some fantastic craftsmanship on show. IMO that is the real draw of a custom frame.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    Why?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've had custom frames. Can I tell the difference ? Not really.

Pay extra if you're going to mount it on the wall as decoration, but otherwise 6 grand is excessive on a bike.

I don't think the OP was serious - he's not been back since has he ?