front Derailleur suddenly not shifting

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited December 2013 in Workshop
on my ride today i tried shifting up to the big ring, the lever was incredibly stiff almost impossible. now it did move but then then i wanted to go down to little ring, the lever clicked but wouldn't move. i pulled over and manually pushed it. once home i gave it all a clean but still no better. a far as i can see it seems cabbled correctly. my thought was that it has seased or rusted somehow. any ideas please
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• salt debris from the road inside the front mech,,
    lots of wd40 and new oil on it will sort im sure
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    sounds like the cable has broken a strand or two inside the shifter...happended to me years ago . Get the old cable out, clean out the shifter and replace the cable should sort it
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Check that the cable under the BB is clean and likewise, the mech isn't gunked up. Undo the cable clamp and work the mech back and forth by hand to try and free it up - spray some WD40 onto the pivots. If that doesn't work, then check the shifter as suggested - Shimano STIs have a habit of chewing cables at the shifter end, preventing the ratchet from returning
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ianbar
    thank you for your suggestions i will have a good look at her later, strange that it seems to have happened from no where!
    enigma esprit
  • ianbar
    i released the cable and sprayed it liberally and seems pretty sorted now cheers, all set for some new year riding
    enigma esprit