planet x extra 15% off wheels

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
today planet x have 15% off wheels code ukwheel15. i am not very tempted. i have always wanted some deep rims but are they worth buying from planet x? they have some shimano rs80s at £425 after discount but the 50mm and 60mm planet x would be £340 which sounds a bargain.any thoughts welcome
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• The RS80's will not take an 11speed cassette? Which ruled them out for me.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • ianbar
    oh i don't have 11 just the 10 for me so that part wouldn't be an issue.
    enigma esprit
  • Putting that to one side the price difference is too great for me.
    £340 is where I see the value.

Positive review here FWIW......http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/best-aero-wheelsets-and-disc-wheels-31023/
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    The Planet X wheels have J-bend spokes , so if you ever break one it'll cost about 30p to replace (as opposed to about 5 pounds for the straight pull spokes in the Shimano wheels).

The Shimano hubs use cup and cone bearings which require occasional maintenance but will last longer if looked after. Planet X have sealed cartridge bearings which don't need maintenance but will require replacing occasionally, costing about 30 quid for a full set of decent quality bearings.

I prefer cup and cone bearings but would choose the Planet X wheels due to the price difference and the cheaper and more widely available spokes.
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • ianbar
    cheers for the tech BUCKLES generally hot long do bearings last anyway? i would probably save the wheels for best and for time trials which i will be doing this year.
    enigma esprit
  • ianbar
    good review thank you CHARLIE POTATOES
    enigma esprit
  • Shimano RS80 C24s are lighter than the 50 and Planet X deep rims. + You can get the RS80's cheaper elsewhere to begin with.

wouldn't go with deep sections, esp if your just training. They are usually heavy and blow you around.