Bottom bracket splin length

Graydawg
Graydawg Posts: 673
edited December 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I am building up a hack bike and converting into a singlespeed but need to understand what bb spline length to go for...

The frame is a boardman comp ht 2013 model. So I think it's the standard 68mm bb shell size.

I am planning on putting a basic square taper bb and chainset (shimano M442) with the UN26 BB but unsure which spline length to get.

Is it 113, 118mm? I presume the 5mm difference will affect chain line?
I plan on removing the granny and big ring on the chainset and leave the 32T on the crank arm.
Does the bb spline length make a difference if I am using spacers on the freehub to align the rear cog?

Thanks in advance.
It's been a while...

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It's the spindle, rather than the spline. Look at the literature that comes with the chainset.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    njee20 wrote:
    It's the spindle, rather than the spline. Look at the literature that comes with the chainset.

Which will be somewhere on Shimano's site if you haven't already got the bits.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Graydawg
    Graydawg Posts: 673
    cooldad wrote:
    njee20 wrote:

Which will be somewhere on Shimano's site if you haven't already got the bits.

Yeah found it mate thanks. From what I understand and after measuring its a 68mm bb shell on the frame and I need a 118mm spindle length in Order to get a 50mm chain line. As I'm using a ss conversion kit on the rear wheel with spacers I should be able to shuffle them about to get a plumb chainline. :)

Crankset and bb (£30) can't complain at that for a budget build!!
    It's been a while...