Thoughts on cervelo price & spec

mosa
mosa Posts: 754
edited December 2013 in Road buying advice
Hello all I went to look at a new 54cm 2014 S2 today but hadn't arrived in stock. Anyway I looked at a 2013 R3. At £1900 with manic kysirium elites & 105

For £100 extra I can get full 6700 ultegra

For £277 I can get the new ultegra 11 speed

My questions are has anyone got a R3 of this year as I would appreciate any comments or thoughts

Has anyone got the 11 speed if yes is it worth the £177 over standard 6700

& finally what would the weight & ride be like in this option

Thanks in advance of any replies
My bikes

2018 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro

Comments

• R3 with Ultegra and Kysrium for £2k? Where?
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Yes, 6800 is easily worth £177 over 6700.
  • cerv50
    cerv50 Posts: 272
    Firstly you need to decide whether you want the aero S2 or standard bike shape R3. They are completely different bikes to ride and take it from me you will notice a difference. Have you test ridden either model, if not I think its something you should do before spending £2k.

Mr 2013 R3 is the dark edition so cant comment on the standard model (light silver colour) but I understand it rides just as well and is a very good frame. As for groupset always go for the best you can afford and if you can get 6800 for the small bit extra go for it. I have 105 on my R3 which will be coming off in the spring to upgrade to 6800.

On my S5 I have DA 11 speed and although pretty pricey it is night and day difference between itself and 105. Shifting is so much smoother and direct and braking is seriously taken to another level.

Where can you pick an R3 up for £2k by the way as most dealers have run out of stock of 2013 models and are now pushing the 2014 ones out the door?
  • mosa
    mosa Posts: 754
    I've had 2 S2's but fancied a change. Pity the colour scheme doesn't jump out at me but I warmed to it as I viewed. The price also includes pedals & a comprehensive bike fit. The bike comes with free upgrade to mavic cosmics. But not keen. I wanted dura ace c24 7900's but the shop said the cosmics can be swapped for the kysirium elites foc. Extra £170 for shimano rs80's or £350 for c24's but stated the elites where a good wheel. I can also go with the rota crankset but doesn't look that nice. Decisions, decisions
    My bikes

2018 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Mavic cosmics are a very underrated wheel.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Yes, 6800 is easily worth £177 over 6700.

And then X pounds a year for consumables like chains and cassette which are currently quite a bit more expensive, and will remain so for awhile - especially as you can just use tiagra or 105 if you're wanting to save money.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    cerv50 wrote:
    Firstly you need to decide whether you want the aero S2 or standard bike shape R3. They are completely different bikes to ride and take it from me you will notice a difference.

^ I've an R5 VWD and an original S2 and they both ride quite different. S2 isn't uncomfortable (more comfortable then a lot of top end bikes I've owned) but the R5 is razer sharp and superlight but smoother. Having said that their both amazing :D